DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my hood has a few hail dents so its time to start looking for the replacement. I has a stock hood now. Was thinking about a sport hood or even a ram air hood. But I'm very hesitant as I have a Vararam intake. And it looks like all the hoods vent over to the stock airbox. And am afraid that the new hood won't seal to the Vararam. And was curious if anybody had any suggestions or ideas. Or hopefully some first hand knowledge. I seen a duraflex spider 3 hood? But it says its a skin and can be made functional. Any ideas or thoughts on this as well.thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
It is my understanding that the various cowl or ram air hoods are more for looks and not really effective at shoving cold air into your engine compartment.
Todays modern slipstream aerodynamic designs create a pathway for air to strike the front end and rise up and over the hood and glass windshield without dragging across the body. (Better gas milage etc)
The more I looked into it the more I came to realize that any hood scoop that was tall enough to "catch" some of that slippery air was also going to big enough to catch rain and snow and in your area… hail stones.
Even the old school "air grabbers" from the Mopar muscle days were actuated by hand or when you went WOT and therefore not open to the elements all the time.
Not trying to kill your enthusiasm for the new hood- just a few words on why it may not be the functional mod you might be wanting. Especially if you already have a functioning Vararam and you don't want to render it less effective.
I'm sure there will be folks that disagree with my understanding… but they can chime in and educate us both.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I'm not the only one with a Vararam intake and I know that who have the Vararam don't all have the stock hood. So why is it nobody ever posts on any of my posts. Thank u spoiler for ur response. But I find it crappy that nobody else can tell me or will tell me what hoods I can use with this intake. All of them I find vent everything over yo the stock air box. Which won't Help me at all. And am afraid that the other hoods won't match up to the intake to create the seal I need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts