DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago there was much ado here about the new for 2016 crash test ratings, and how the 4th gen Rams did poorly on the then-new small front overlap test. The Ford which had just been redesigned did better than everyone else, perhaps not surprisingly since it was the only truck that had been newly designed since the test was implemented, and as you can probably imagine most vehicles don't do well on tests that didn't exist at the time they were designed.

Well I figured that since the 2019 results were out I'd post a thread for it here (I'll merge your video thread with it if you want NevadaMike). Results are here:

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/large-pickups

The 5th gen Ram, 2nd gen Titan, and current refresh of the 13th gen F-150 all aced the actual crash test ratings. Oddly, the newly redesigned GM twins did not do well in the passenger side small front overlap test despite acing the driver's side and the fact that the aforementioned 3 did. The Honda did worse than the Ram/Ford/Titan at the passenger side small front overlap too but better than the GMs.

Ram and Nissan have better headlights than the Ford, Marginal vs Poor-nice that they have a headlight test now. Honda won out that category.

The Tundra, last redesigned in 2007 and refreshed in 2014 not surprisingly did the worst.

I don't necessarily think the "crash prevention" category should really bear much weight because the blind spot avoidance and auto cruise control only really increase the safety of an unattentive driver. Likewise the LATCH ease of use shouldn't either; once our car seat is hooked up its hooked up. Ease of use is convenience, not safety. YMMV

·
Registered
143 Posts
A few years ago there was much ado here about the new for 2016 crash test ratings, and how the 4th gen Rams did poorly on the then-new small front overlap test. The Ford which had just been redesigned did better than everyone else, perhaps not surprisingly since it was the only truck that had been newly designed since the test was implemented, and as you can probably imagine most vehicles don't do well on tests that didn't exist at the time they were designed.

Well I figured that since the 2019 results were out I'd post a thread for it here (I'll merge your video thread with it if you want NevadaMike). Results are here:

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/large-pickups

The 5th gen Ram, 2nd gen Titan, and current refresh of the 13th gen F-150 all aced the actual crash test ratings. Oddly, the newly redesigned GM twins did not do well in the passenger side small front overlap test despite acing the driver's side and the fact that the aforementioned 3 did. The Honda did worse than the Ram/Ford/Titan at the passenger side small front overlap too but better than the GMs.

Ram and Nissan have better headlights than the Ford, Marginal vs Poor-nice that they have a headlight test now. Honda won out that category.

The Tundra, last redesigned in 2007 and refreshed in 2014 not surprisingly did the worst.

I don't necessarily think the "crash prevention" category should really bear much weight because the blind spot avoidance and auto cruise control only really increase the safety of an unattentive driver. Likewise the LATCH ease of use shouldn't either; once our car seat is hooked up its hooked up. Ease of use is convenience, not safety. YMMV
I agree that the avoidance tech shouldn't hold any weight in the ratings. I also feel that the headlights shouldn't be weighed as heavily as they are. The Honda didn't ace the crash tests but won top safety pick due to the headlights. I wouldn't even count it as a full size truck.

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that the avoidance tech shouldn't hold any weight in the ratings. I also feel that the headlights shouldn't be weighed as heavily as they are. The Honda didn't ace the crash tests but won top safety pick due to the headlights. I wouldn't even count it as a full size truck.

Agreed on all points; this started as a means of testing how vehicles handle a wreck, not how likely they are to keep you from getting in one. I do like that there is a headlight test done by a 3rd party organization though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts