DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fighting my 2006 5.7L for some time now...had 3 reputable mechanics look at it and they could tear the engine down, but for the less labor, they all advised a new engine.

Quoting $6200 for Jasper engine, misc parts and labor with 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. Anyone have experience with a Jasper engine?

I don't finance cars so its either the new engine or paying cash for a new truck which I really didn't plan to do at this moment.

Other than engine , everything else on the truck has been fine...did have to bypass TIPM to address a headlight issue and probably have a bad brake fluid sensor I need to take care of...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well, if you really like the truck think of this as an opportunity to upgrade the engine with some performance parts. Surely (I know, don't call me Shirley :gy: ) you'd enjoy MORE POWER and an engine that you know what's in it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything else to be leery of with this year model truck or other suggested improvements while I'm writing checks?

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Whether you finance or not, you ain't getting a new truck for $6200, and while paying a few hundred a month is more palatable than $6200 at once, you'll spend more overall. IDK where you live, but if its not rotting away from Winter salt then I'd lean in the direction of a new engine; sure a new truck has all new joints and gears and stuff, but is the cost to maintain/repair/replace all that going to equal or exceed the cost of a new truck? Probably not.

A lot of the time people look at the value of their vehicle vs. repair cost in deciding whether to get a new vehicle or perform a big repair. IMHO a better comparison to make is comparing the repair cost to the cost of a new vehicle with the current value of yours subtracted, because realistically those are the two options you have. If the truck is rotting away and going to be a basket case then obviously that's a factor too.

What happened to your original engine? IIRC the Jaspers are remans and not rebuilds; meaning they come with improvements over the originals like pinned in valve seats instead of the pressed in ones on the G3 Hemis that were known to drop in the 03-08 version. You want a reman, whether that should be a Jasper or not I can't say

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recommend..

Using Powertrainproducts.net , excellent service, they completely rebuild the engines and get rid of factory fu#! ups, my favotire fix was pinning the valve seat in instead of leaving the glued up crap chrystler decided to do(morons)... they sell an added 4 year no fault warranty for $350 (do it) that stacks on the 5 year unlimited mile warranty. They shipped my engine to me in one day. from Maryland to Florida. Excellent staff and service.

Check them out, you wont regret it.:smileup::smileup:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Have you looked at local wrecking yards for a low miles take out? Lots of Rams get totaled with good motors. Hemis are typically a long lasting motor, I have one with almost 400,000 miles in a RT Magnum, my last Ram had 276,000 miles, ran mint...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recommend..

Using Powertrainproducts.net , excellent service, they completely rebuild the engines and get rid of factory fu#! ups, my favotire fix was pinning the valve seat in instead of leaving the glued up crap chrystler decided to do(morons)... they sell an added 4 year no fault warranty for $350 (do it) that stacks on the 5 year unlimited mile warranty. They shipped my engine to me in one day. from Maryland to Florida. Excellent staff and service.

Check them out, you wont regret it.:smileup::smileup:
How is it holding up for you? I gotta get an engine also. Was trying to narrow it down between your recommendation and S&J

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
As mentioned, if the rest of the truck is in good shape I would lean towards better the devil you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been fighting my 2006 5.7L for some time now...had 3 reputable mechanics look at it and they could tear the engine down, but for the less labor, they all advised a new engine.

Quoting $6200 for Jasper engine, misc parts and labor with 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. Anyone have experience with a Jasper engine?

I don't finance cars so its either the new engine or paying cash for a new truck which I really didn't plan to do at this moment.

Other than engine , everything else on the truck has been fine...did have to bypass TIPM to address a headlight issue and probably have a bad brake fluid sensor I need to take care of...

Any thoughts?
My 2011 Ram failed in May 2021. The mechanic recommended Jasper and I didn't know any better. It took nearly a month to get the replacement in from Jasper and it's been down hill since. The first Jasper block lasted 4 hours. 2 1/2 trips. Then, seized.
Due to covid, there were no more 5.7s in stock. I had to wait until August 15th for a replacement.
The shop still hasn't given my truck back because it started knocking during break-in.
I'm trying to get a refund now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still waiting for them to finish "troubleshooting" before they'll issue a refund.
It's been 6 months now.
About to lawyer-up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Still waiting for them to finish "troubleshooting" before they'll issue a refund.
It's been 6 months now.
About to lawyer-up.
How are you driving your truck? They've had it for 6 months or did you go another route to get it fixed and now you're just waiting on the refund?

Sorry to hear that..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had it towed from the shop (TranzTech) to a Dodge dealership (Ralph Sellers) last Friday. Once I told TranzTech I was removing them from the equation, they wrote up and handed me 3 more invoices for $3,100.00 more work that they (allegedly) did over the past month after I told them to stop work. I have no intention of paying it and I plan on getting back everything I've paid so far.
Thankfully, I have a friend at the dealership and they're going to let me finance a Mopar engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is rough! Post back how the Mopar engine works out. I'd be interested in the result.

And good luck with the situation you're dealing with. That's pretty ridiculous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts