DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 ram 1500 4x4 5.2 with 260,XXX miles- It started yesterday when i went to start my truck. I started it and it seemed like it choked out and shut right off. Today i was driving and had to come to a quick stop and the RPM's dropped and it shut off. I then started to notice my oil pressure gauge needle shaking. I checked the oil and there is so much gunk in the dip stick tube that i cant read it. Everytime i put it in it comes out with oil all over it. When i got it home i was in my driveway and i punched the gas one time to rev it up and the RPM's dropped and it died. I did it a few more times and the same thing everytime. Im going to get a new oil guage to hook up to it for a true reading but any suggestions in the meantime???? Thanks in advance for any help and just for having this site available for people to use!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar issue with '97 5.9, when I would let off the gas the RPMs would drop to 0 and it would shut off. This mostly happened when it was cold out and the motor was cold, once it warmed up it seemed to go away. I would drive with 2 feet (one on the gas, one on the brake) and keep the RPMs around 900 when stopped so it wouldn't stall. I did a bit of research and found that when the IAC goes bad it has this same symptom, so I replaced it and haven't had the problem since. You can clean the IAC but it wasn't very much money so I figured it'd be better to have a new one so I went that way.

Your issue with the gunky oil is a different story though, I wouldn't drive it until you figure out what's up with that. Did you drain the oil? Did it come out gunky or looking decent?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! Thats exactly what it was. I changed it and it purrs like a kitten. Im looking into the oil issue tomorrow and i will let you know what i find out. Im going to clean my dip stick tube out and go from there. Thanks again man, youre a life saver!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Run some sea foam thru the crank case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts