DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
18,032 Posts
I put these two sub woofers in today little under 3 hours with all the wiring ect. I hooked up the left & right front speakers with T- connectors behind the factory radio. Speakers $65 each, the amp got at a flea market $10 wiring for the amp $20 total $160 ain't bad!
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Did you do anything else besides cut the holes to put the subs in? I mean air/sound can leak in the opening of the covers....
typically boxes are sealed (completely) or sealed with a designated port

Just wondering.... looks great tho

· Registered
28 Posts
Did you do anything else besides cut the holes to put the subs in? I mean air/sound can leak in the opening of the covers....
typically boxes are sealed (completely) or sealed with a designated port

Just wondering.... looks great tho

No didn't do anything else with air sound, but dam it's sounds great for a factory radio.
Thanks for all the complements people.

· Registered
78 Posts
I put these two sub woofers in today little under 3 hours with all the wiring ect. I hooked up the left & right front speakers with T- connectors behind the factory radio. Speakers $65 each, the amp got at a flea market $10 wiring for the amp $20 total $160 ain't bad!
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Hmmm, interesting. Never thought about using existing cover due to the same concerns about sealed or ported holes.

Seems like a good idea.

· Registered
18,032 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Never thought about using existing cover due to the same concerns about sealed or ported holes.

Seems like a good idea.

It is a great idea! Just a little leary about air escaping in the wrong areas. I'm almost certain it does, but comparing it to factory, it will sound better.
In a proper box/enclosure, it will and should sound like money.

· Registered
78 Posts
I wonder if you add a rubber foam strip (like you would use for weather stripping on doors and windows on a house) along the top edge of the compartment to give it a better seal, if that would make it better.

And maybe make a port hole too.

I know nothing about subs and enclosures or the airspace. I figured eventually I would do a fiberglass enclosure like somebody did here, but this seems easier and faster. And I totally understand this may not sound like "money" but I've been a little lazy lately.

· Registered
18,032 Posts
I wonder if you add a rubber foam strip (like you would use for weather stripping on doors and windows on a house) along the top edge of the compartment to give it a better seal, if that would make it better.

And maybe make a port hole too.

I know nothing about subs and enclosures or the airspace. I figured eventually I would do a fiberglass enclosure like somebody did here, but this seems easier and faster. And I totally understand this may not sound like "money" but I've been a little lazy lately.
Im sure it sounds better than the present Alpine sub (if there was one originally), Im sure it will sound good to most people and worth a shot at first.

· Registered
28 Posts
My truck just came with the factory stereo and it thumps with the 2 subs:git: I got the idea of doing this from searching other sites and they had one for $700 that was made from molded plastic (one piece) and it came with the 2 subs without amp. The other site I seen is the one for Alpine and they want around $600 for one sub and amp. Like I said for $160 not a bad deal oh and a few beers. Also need to mention I still have room under the subs for gloves tie down straps etc. The subs are only 4 inches in depth.

· Registered
18,032 Posts
My truck just came with the factory stereo and it thumps with the 2 subs:git: I got the idea of doing this from searching other sites and they had one for $700 that was made from molded plastic (one piece) and it came with the 2 subs without amp. The other site I seen is the one for Alpine and they want around $600 for one sub and amp. Like I said for $160 not a bad deal oh and a few beers. Also need to mention I still have room under the subs for gloves tie down straps etc. The subs are only 4 inches in depth.
Not a bad deal at all!
Just wanted to ask if you noticed anything.
I guess not. All the best....

· Registered
18,032 Posts
well there here and there on!! I'm Very happy with them. A little bit of rubbing at full turn but just let off the wheel 1 1/2" and no rub.:smileup:
Love them!
So normal driving will have no rub?
I rarely do a full turn on my ram. It's rare but maybe I don't notice I do it because there is no rub
Either way, great choice.
Will you be lifting?

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks. no rub on norm driving at all. The truck has a leviling kit, 2 1/2 in front and 1" in back. Thats as far as i'm going to go as i have plans to buy a 27-32 foot camp trailer. I don't think it would be good to have a big lift if I want to pull something that heavy.

· Registered
18,032 Posts
Thanks. no rub on norm driving at all. The truck has a leviling kit, 2 1/2 in front and 1" in back. Thats as far as i'm going to go as i have plans to buy a 27-32 foot camp trailer. I don't think it would be good to have a big lift if I want to pull something that heavy.
We are thinking the same thing
Where are good places to go? Brand/make?

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
are you asking about the leveling kit or trailer? leveling kit is a supreme suspension. As for a trailer maybe a trail runner or Dutchmen. Either way I'll most likely buy from the U.S.. The Nitto Trail Grapples I got were $1400 U.S. and here in Thunder Bay they wanted another $800 on top of that..so $2200 in Canada for the SAME tires!! So I'll most likely get the trailer in the U.S. as well and save big cash.

· Registered
18,032 Posts
are you asking about the leveling kit or trailer? leveling kit is a supreme suspension. As for a trailer maybe a trail runner or Dutchmen. Either way I'll most likely buy from the U.S.. The Nitto Trail Grapples I got were $1400 U.S. and here in Thunder Bay they wanted another $800 on top of that..so $2200 in Canada for the SAME tires!! So I'll most likely get the trailer in the U.S. as well and save big cash.
Yup! The trailer :smileup:
I try to avoid buying here also, even with shipping here, we are still saving.
I do try to give local guys a fair shot.

Trailer will certainly be cheaper in the US

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.