DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn 4wd
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. Future Ram owner here looking for some advice before purchasing.

My current vehicle is a 2011 F150 5.0 v8 2wd. Per the computer, I am averaging 17.9 - 18 mpg.

I am all but set on purchasing a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn 4wd tomorrow. I do not believe that it has the option to go down to 4cyl. while cruising, so how bad should I expect the MPG to be? I drive fairly conservatively with mostly highway to and from work five days a week. I drive around the woods during hunting season, but that is not all that often most of the year...

The other truck that I am considering is a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4wd ecodiesel. If I do not tow anything, is it really worth owning as a daily driver? Also, is the cost of upkeep (oil changes, maintenance, etc...) more than a regular truck?

For what it is worth, I put about 25,000 - 30,000 miles on my vehicle/year, and have to get gas about every three days. I can see how both the regular and the diesel option could be of benefit to me in that regard.

Are there any issues that I should be aware of with either of these vehicles? Anything else I should know?

Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello, all. Future Ram owner here looking for some advice before purchasing.

My current vehicle is a 2011 F150 5.0 v8 2wd. Per the computer, I am averaging 17.9 - 18 mpg.

I am all but set on purchasing a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn 4wd tomorrow. I do not believe that it has the option to go down to 4cyl. while cruising, so how bad should I expect the MPG to be? I drive fairly conservatively with mostly highway to and from work five days a week. I drive around the woods during hunting season, but that is not all that often most of the year...

The other truck that I am considering is a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4wd ecodiesel. If I do not tow anything, is it really worth owning as a daily driver? Also, is the cost of upkeep (oil changes, maintenance, etc...) more than a regular truck?

For what it is worth, I put about 25,000 - 30,000 miles on my vehicle/year, and have to get gas about every three days. I can see how both the regular and the diesel option could be of benefit to me in that regard.

Are there any issues that I should be aware of with either of these vehicles? Anything else I should know?

Thank you.
All brands of the newer trucks are electronically complicated. Ive had rams for over 30 yrs. Would not buy another brand. Yes it does have the eco mode. I have a 2017 big horn. with 3.21 gears and still can tow a 7000lb trailer. Just remember to keep it warrantyed the whole time you own it. Repair costs for all vehicles are thru the roof.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The hemis with 3:21's are very good if you keep em 70 mph and under. I had a 2017 Bighorn 4x4 company truck and on long trips, I could get as high as 25 mpg. However, I drive an Ecodiesel, tuned with 102,000 miles that gets 30+ mpg. You should be able to figure out how to keep it in eco mode longer, exhaust gets quieter and the mpg gauge will show milage climbing. I can get better mpgs without using cruise control. BTW, have driven hemis 800,000 miles, with only issue being a fuel pump wore out on a 2005 at 275,000 miles and one wore out on a hemi Dodge Magnum at 375,000 miles. Came from Toyotas, my Dodges have been better and a heck of a lot more fun. My second choice would be a F150 with Ecoboost. I drove a F150 Powerstroke, was not impressed with mpgs or ride,

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maintenance costs are considerably more for the diesel. If you don't need a diesel you have to want one. If you aren't going to do the maintenance yourself I would look at what the service schedule is compared to a gas engine and talk to a RAM dealership service department to see what the cost is to have each one of those items performed. Yes you get better MPG but you would need to be considering long-term ownership if being cost-effective is your goal for the powerplant decision.

I've had several 1500 Classics as loaners and was getting low 20's mpg overall with the HEMI, 4x4, and 3.92 rear end. Much better than the 15 mpg overall I get in my "all-new" RAM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The diesel, it turns out, was made in Canada (according to the window sticker), so it is the gas option for me.

Does it automatically have the eco mode, even though it is not listed on the dealership website?

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,230 Posts
The diesel, it turns out, was made in Canada (according to the window sticker), so it is the gas option for me.

Does it automatically have the eco mode, even though it is not listed on the dealership website?
Both my 2015 and 2017 Hemi’s had the eco mode. And I’m pretty sure the Hemi has had the MDS (cylinder deactivation) since 2005. For a 5k+lb truck with almost 400hp, I’m impressed with the fuel economy for what it is. I was able to get around 19-20mpg on my 15’ and 17’ Hemi Rams on road trips both with 3.92’s. Didn’t fare as well on my new 21’ Hemi Ram on a recent road trip but it’ll get better as it breaks in. Only 2k miles as of now. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It will have MDS (Multi Cylinder Displacement) so yes it will deactivate cylinders when it does not need them. If you buy the Hemi avoid these Group III oils labeled as synthetic and run a Group V Ester Synthetic oil, that will protect the cam lobes and lifters, I have owned three Hemi's over the years two 5.7 Hemi's one in a 1500 with MDS one in a 2500 without MDS and the last one was a 6.4 Hemi with MDS in a 2016 2500 Ram, I ran Redline Group V Ester Synthetic oil in all of them and never had any issues. The little bit extra you spend for an oil change using a Group V Ester Synthetic oil is cheap when compared to replacing a camshaft and lifters, and while you have it torn down you might as well do a valve job on both heads and change the timing chain and tensioners as well as change the water pump.

That Group V Ester Synthetic oil change does not sound so expensive now does it.

I now own a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic ecodiesel and I average overall 27.7 MPG hand calculated tracked in the Fuelly app, you can click on the graphic at the bottom of my post to see the MPG. I only run Redline Group V Ester Synthetic oil in my ecodiesel, for me that is Redline 15w-40 Diesel synthetic, I also installed a Green Diesel Engineering engine and transmission tune around the 1,000 mile mark after I bought it new as a left over 2019 from the dealer. I have not had any issues with the truck. Being a 2019 Classic I have the GEN2 ecodiesel engine in mine.

My best fuel run has been a run that averaged 32.2 MPG my worst fuel run was 25.4 MPG that was only a 190 mile run with a DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) Regen during that run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with a 2019 1500 Classic Big Horn 4wd Crew Cab. Great truck! I even got them to throw in a "free" tonneau cover.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,230 Posts
I went with a 2019 1500 Classic Big Horn 4wd Crew Cab. Great truck! I even got them to throw in a "free" tonneau cover.
Nice, congrats! Post up some pics of your new truck when you can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts