DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My issue started several weeks ago when I noticed the coolant temp was getting higher than usual. It usually runs 199-204* but suddenly was creeping into the 220s and even 230s. I had/have it in the works to change the t-stat (was wanting a 180* anyway). This past weekend we noticed the engine seemed to be much louder and seemed to wait to shift - it would be revving higher before shifting. BUT now the temp doesn't go above 204* again...??:doh:

I'm not sure where to go from here, any thoughts on my situation?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
How many miles on the truck? Have you ever had the coolant changed? Was the t stat installed before this happened or not?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hard to say. Perhaps the thermostat is sticking. How were you driving it when this happened? Is the truck modified in any way?

Why would you want to install a 180? That's just the temperature at which it opens. It doesn't prevent your engine temperatures from going higher.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Around 45,000 miles on the truck. Coolant hasn't been changed and I still have the stock t-stat. Only modifications are a cat-back exhaust and a drop-in air filter. I wasn't driving any differently than I normally do when the temperatures originally started rising. And the engine seemed to be louder and act different from start-up the other day.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Around 45,000 miles on the truck. Coolant hasn't been changed and I still have the stock t-stat. Only modifications are a cat-back exhaust and a drop-in air filter. I wasn't driving any differently than I normally do when the temperatures originally started rising. And the engine seemed to be louder and act different from start-up the other day.
Are you open to having the vehicle diagnosed by a certified FCA dealer? - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

1 - 6 of 6 Posts