DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after doing a lot of research I finally bit the bullet and traded in my Blue 2006 Z71 Chevy Colorado Extended Cab for a White 2012 RAM Big Horn Quad Cab.

I must say I am very impressed with the vehicle so far in how it handles, rides and the power the Hemi has. It does have a slight "Hemi Tick" on and off at idle but after reading through here and talking with the service manager he said its a Hemi thing.. Some do it, some don't and some are louder then others.

As far as gas mileage goes, I was only getting 17 - 18mpg in my little Colorado and so far with 46 miles on the EVIC i'm at 15.8mpg. So its not too bad and from reading here and talking to the service manager he said it will likely improve once the engine gets broken in some more.

So far I really like it and will post some pics later on for everyone!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Couldn't agree more!

I've had mine for about a month now, 920 miles. My best hand calculated MPG was 19.8 and worst was 13.7. For the amount of HP in the motor, I'm extremely impressed. These trucks are awesome!

Have you noticed a humming/whining noise at the 1000 to 1400 rpm range?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Congrats on your new Ram.

This truck gets fantastic mileage for the weight of the vehicle and the horsepower it delivers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just don't trust the EVIC to give you accuracte MPG readings. If you hand calculate at a fillup, you will find the EVIC is about 1-2 MPG too generous on the reading.

I've been averaging 16-18mpg on my 5.7L Hemi... which is still better than the 14-16 mpg I got in a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a gutless 4.0L V6 !

Darin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Count me among the new owners. Had mine since 3/14 and now have a little over 600 miles on it. Man, I'm loving this truck more and more. I haven't hand calc'd the mileage yet, but the computer says avg of 16. If that's true, it's no worse than my '97 Jeep Wrangler that I traded in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Count me as a new owner of a 2012 Hemi R/T, I love this truck got almost 3000 miles on it now have had it since 2/18. Also the mileage does go up once the motor is broken it I am currently getting around 19.8 MPG HWY and 15.3 CTY.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Congrats on the new truck....Glad you like it...Do you have any pics......

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just can't stop grinning everytime I hop behind the wheel... kinda like opening up that big present on Christmas morning and getting exactly what you wanted... Could care less about the mileage! My V6 Dakota was not great on gas and I lived with it... That was a great little truck, kinda funny how I don't think about it much...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah I know how you feel I had an 02 Dodge ram with the 3.7L 5 speed I loved while I had it but I love this new ram. The bad part is so does my wife its a race to get the truck on a daily basis hahahaha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The more I drive this truck, the more I like it!! Is it bad to think about driving the truck while at work?...;) Hahahaha

The new RAM styling and features are awesome!! I just have to get used to the larger towing mirrors that are on mine. I picked my truck up Wednesday night and last night i got about 3 little scratches in my mirror plastic when it rubbed against a rough concrete pillar when going through the ATM..:doh:... Almost made me sick to the stomach.. Less then 24hrs of owning it and already a scar.. I will be folding the driver side in so I can hug that side next time..

Tubbs, I know exactly what ya mean.. My wife has been asking to drive my truck a lot more then when I had my Chevy Colorado.. She also loves the new truck!!

I am going to try and get some pictures up on the weekend..

G

·
I have 830 miles on a 2012 and have run two tanks of 87 octane and one tank of 89 octane,, and dont' know that there's much difference. What I did notice was that I bought a really top of the line Snug Top camer shell, and it increased the mpg 1 to 1.5 mpg running it the same way I ran it before the installation. I attribute this to aerodynamics produced by a more streamlined body and better ability to handle wind resistance.

I have had an 01 one ton diesel dually six speed manual and the improvements they've made in technology, accessories, ride, overall look and feel and gas mileage (IF you keep your foot off the accelerator)...all the improvements in technology, mechanical features and accessories has been really noticeable.

One thing I did notice is that by them going to the rear coild springs, they've given the truck a better "car ride", but they've produced a noticeable squat when you put some towing packages on back. I see this easily remedied by some air bags back there.

All in all, this is one of the best trucks I've owned or driven. Had my neighbor who owns a Chevy drive it....he too was impressed and said that his other friend had an 07 and the difference between the Dodge 07 and 12 was really obvious. I guess all this really comes down to the simply explanation that they've come up with a good package...the 5.7 engine with the 6 speed tranny and paddle shift capabilities has given me exactly what I've been looking for in a balance of utility, comfort, and accessories.

The rear camera sucks....the NAV screen gets a bit cluttered and could stand some better design for the presentation of the various functions between FM, AM, DVD, Ipod, Satellite radio etc.....the upgraded Alpine radio system is a nice addition, and the way they've given you a flat platform in the back seats on the 4 door model makes it great for in cab storage, a place for your hunting dog etc.

Bottom line....nice truck Dodge. This one is a keeper for me. Pulls a 6,000# boat like there's nothing back there.

Chuck

·
Registered
340 Posts
I can't say there's much of a difference in mileage between my 96 5.9 and my 12 5.7 hemi. And the 12 is just so much more that the 96.

Me....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts