DODGE RAM FORUM banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
It's Showtime!
791 Posts
I am very sorry to read about your concerns! If we can help with anything, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN. We are happy to help.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
LOL, I refused to let them weld mine as it's the cheap way out until you need to have an alignment. I'll just keep an eye on it. You need to let them know their customers are not happy with this repair. Man up & provide the correct repair parts.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
LOL, I refused to let them weld mine as it's the cheap way out until you need to have an alignment. I'll just keep an eye on it. You need to let them know their customers are not happy with this repair. Man up & provide the correct repair parts.
Yes, this!! ^^^^^
It's lovely that Ramcares periodically tells us that they're "sorry to hear our concerns" and all, but the reality is that there's nothing they can do about this wretched and embarrassing "fix" that has been thrust upon us.
FCA management, obviously influenced more by the bean counters than the engineers, have decreed that destroying the adjustability of a major steering linkage component is preferable to actually providing a working part that is not prone to failure.
Even the service manager at my dealership is embarrassed that he can't offer a decent Mopar solution.
So I'm with ya, Joe.
I'm gonna keep an eye on it until I can afford to buy a drag link that's not rubbish (then nag the crap out of Ram for reimbursement), or until FCA comes up with a Mopar link that fits which doesn't require welding to make it safe.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I couldnt stand it. So today I crawled under to see. Mine has a drag link/tie rod that has a sticker on it "mopar" The new part has to "old school" standard clamp type adjuster on it. Phew.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
So today I've been reading that there is now a V06 recall updated drag link from Mopar which will fit and does not have a bullshit jam-nut style adjuster that is the source of the problem
On another forum (I'm not allowed to link to it) there is an extended discussion on this part and several postings with photos from people reporting having made the switch with no problems at all.
The updated link is Mopar part# 68338342AB, and it's available online from a number of vendors. (Here's just one example)
The price is less than half the cost of the Synergy drag link that I've been saving my pennies for, so I'm thinking this is the way I'll go.
The next task, tomorrow, will be to contact the local dealer and try talking them into installing this part as the recall fix. The recall requirements say that if the jam-nut(s) on the OEM link are loose, the whole drag link must be replaced and the new nuts welded. But that was before this new updated part was available, so if I go in with loose jam nuts (be happy to loosen them myself if that's what it takes) I see no reason why they would'nt replace the old link with this new one and just call it good.
We shall see.
I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
yea mine has this sleeve type. No welded nut. Which when I read that I though was a BS way to "temp fix" the thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sleeve on the arm that is being tack welded is called the drag link. It goes from the strg box to the steering linkage or knuckle. It can attach to a few places, it is make sensitive. We can align those trucks all day long. These tach welds have nothing to with caster, camber or toe. The only time you deal with the drag link is, IF AFTER the alignment, the steering wheel is not straight. As you all know 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock is normal. If the steering wheel is off, you would adjust it to perfect USING THIS TALKED ABOUT SLEEVE. A die grinder will cut these small tack welds on the adjustment sleeve. Normally, they tack the nut or bolt to the sleeve but it can be anywhere. Yes some have tacked the sleeve to the threads. We cut the weld on maybe 1 out of 20 trucks to straighten the strg wheel. After an alignment most of the time the steering wheel is straight. I'm and ASE Master and have been for 30 years. Since 1994, I've owned a 20 bay shop that does normal maintenance AND builds Custom Trucks. Before you argue with me, know this, just about everyone in Phoenix has heard, you can't align that truck the adjustments are welded or there is a recall but the parts aren't available yet. This weld does not and cannot hamper our ability to align your truck. This weld just eliminates our ability to re-center your steering wheel IF NEEDED.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Before you argue with me, know this, just about everyone in Phoenix has heard, you can't align that truck the adjustments are welded or there is a recall but the parts aren't available yet. This weld does not and cannot hamper our ability to align your truck. This weld just eliminates our ability to re-center your steering wheel IF NEEDED.
The adjustment sleeve in the drag link is there for a reason, and that reason is exactly as you describe, to enable centering of the steering wheel. You are correct that it does not impact the rest of the alignment parameters.

The real point here is that the "fix" currently being offered by FCA for the inherent vulnerability of that adjustment sleeve to become unstable is to compromise the drag link adjustment capability by welding the adjustment components together rather than by replacing the drag link which has an adjustment mechanism which won't lose its structural integrity unexpectedly and unpredictably.

Drag links which don't fall apart have been around for longer than I have been alive, and I'm no longer young.
This is not some sophisticated and gee-whiz technical problem, this is totally straightforward stuff.
RAM even makes one (Mopar part# 68338342AB) which will fit as a direct replacement, yet they will not deploy it as a proper replacement and thus maintain drag link adjustability without having to dig around for a damn die grinder to chew off a bunch of chickenshit welds that should not be there in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2017 2500. A couple years down the road since this recall and 34,000 miles total on the clock. I have had zero problems with the adjustment sleeve and nuts since I tightened them and put some paint marks to check for any movement. But my tie rod ends began squeaking loudly a couple weeks ago. My local shop says there are no replacement tie rod ends available for the setup I have and I will need to replace the entire assembly with the updated version. The steering is still tight and alignment is perfect so I really don’t want to disturb anything but I’m concerned the loud squeak noise from the tie rod ends is a lack of lubrication with no grease fittings. Has anyone seen an update or additional recall for the original style tie rod ends?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Look for yourself. Check rock auto. I doubt FCA designed a complete new steering system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look for yourself. Check rock auto. I doubt FCA designed a complete new steering system.
Yes nothing at Rock Auto except the new design using clamp on sleeves instead of the threaded end too the barrel nut. Complete new redesign is exactly what they did.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts