DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 1500. My wife bought me a JVC KD-R520 radio for Christmas. I think she got tired of me complaining that I couldn't plug in my iPhone, or iHeart radio, and listen to my music from the stock radio. I decided to put it in myself.

No problems taking out the dash, or replacing the speakers. I bought a wiring harness from Autozone. It is Metra unit, but they do not use the Metra labeling convention. It is a AW-WHCR2. Supposed to fit 2002-2007 models.

All of the wire colors from the Autozone harness matched the plug from the stereo, soldered them nice and neat. When I plug things into the truck I am getting power to the radio, and pretty much all functionality, but no sound. Took it out to make sure I didn't goof up the truck wiring, or a fuse, and the old radio played fine and new speakers sound fine. I just can't get sound from the new radio.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
First thing i would ask, is if you have premium sound with a factory amp? I would assume no, because you replaced the speakers, but i could be wrong before. When there is a stock amp, there is usally a remote turn on wire that needs to be wired up, the factory radio accounts for this wire, but could be missed when installing an aftermarket head unit.
If you do not have premium sound in your truck, here would be my next steps:
You said the speakers are working fine when you reinstall the stock radio, so you know those connections are good. The problem has to be at the radio or Metra Kit. Being the metra kit wires are typically color coded to the wires coming off the back of the HU i would have to assume the connections are good. One way to check this out, is by having everything turned on, expose the - (neg) and + (pos) on a speaker channel (ie.. FR + & -) and rub them together. If the connections are good and a signal is being transmitted out of the Hu you will hear a scratch/ interference type of noise from the speaker.
If it appears all is well with the connections at the metra kit, i would start going thru the menu on the HU and see if there are Mute settings or "turn channel" off settings. I am not family with that radio, so i do not know all of the options it has. Also, 1 more thing i would try is go thru all the modes (am, fm, cd, front usb port, rear usb port. It could be as easy as a dead port, or maybe it could be on the wrong mode.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I looked at it again today and I had a ground to solder and one other blue wire to do. I thought that the blue wire was for a powered antenna that I don't have.

Good experience though. Never done that before. In fact, never pulled off the dash until yesterday. Sounds great too.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Yep the blue wire is the trigger wire for the amplifier, the power antenna, etc...

That's got to be wired to the factory amplifier (usually an infinity system on Chrysler) to power it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had same problem with a Sony Xplode. Did the online tech thing, they said it needed to be sent back for warranty. I took it back and exchanged it for another...same problem. Finally fed up I CALL the tech line. That is where I was told that I had to hook up the other blue wire. Did that while on the phone with them and presto! it worked. Instruction book said nothing of it, and online tech knew nothing of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the same problem, new radio, no sound!!! Mine is a 2002 ram 1500 with infinity system, just work for 3 hours till it got dark and left it all took apart, checked this forum and VOILA.Its nothing new. I'm going to check on remote wires in the morning, But I'm wondering if a new stereo has 40 watts per channel into this amp will it hurt the factory amp? thanks all

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem. Just bought a 2004 1500 and the speakers stopped working a few days later, so I got a new HU and same problem! Power but no sound! I will try the blue wire thing when the wife gets home, but if the amp is bad where is it hidden?

·
Registered
24 Posts
from what i know the stock amp is hidden behind the glove box I had the same issue but i went and bought the wire harness that turns on the stock amp 150$ later :Wow1: lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I looked at it again today and I had a ground to solder and one other blue wire to do. I thought that the blue wire was for a powered antenna that I don't have.

Good experience though. Never done that before. In fact, never pulled off the dash until yesterday. Sounds great too.
What other wire does the blue wire attach to?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts