DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my new stereo system. It's nothing too fancy, but it sounds great for my tastes. I didn't take any pics of the install, as everything I've done has been covered here already, but I'll try to post up a few of everything installed here in a few.

I started out replacing my four factory speakers with four Polk Audio DXI650S. I decided to go with the 6.5's in the front doors as well. I'm no expert and someone is probably going to call me stupid, but my plans were to add a four channel amp in the future and I figured if the speakers matched, then it would be easier to match an amp to them. They sound so good now though, that I don't think I'll worry about an amp for quite some time.

Next I replaced my crappy 1.5 Din head unit with a Pioneer AVH-P4300. I went with this unit for the clean 7" display. I'm going to get an iPhone when my renewal comes up in April, so this unit will do a lot with that and I can use the navigation feature from the phone on it. I received the wrong color bezel (Khaki), so had to tape it off and dye it. I used gray dye instead of Charcoal and the contrast looks nice. I used the XSVI-6502-Nav to wire it in, soldering all connections. Note: There will be an unused plug in the factory harness and in the XSVI harness, no worries. Note 2: You have to initialize the XSVI harness before you plug it in to the stereo. Plug your soldered up harness into the factory harness, hook your battery cable back up, turn on the ignition for thirty seconds, turn it back off, then plug into the back of your stereo. This had me pulling my hair out for about 30 minutes. I went ahead and hooked up my remote turn on wire and plugged in my patch cables while I was in the dash.

Next I removed all my door trims and started wiring my amp kit. I used a cheapo 4 gauge kit, which is probably only half what it is rated. I figured this going in and bought the bigger kit. Got all the wires run and hooked up to my 8 year old cheapo DUAL 300 amp, from my previous truck. It puts out about 170 watts RMS bridged. Nothing spectacular. I also bought a cheapo single box all wood construction that fits on the drivers side under the rear seat. From what I could find out about the box, it had about .5-.6 cubic feet of volume. The cheap amp and small box had me searching for a sub that would work. I settled on the Rockford Fosgate Prime 10", fairly low power requirements and designed for a small box.

With everything installed I went about setting the amp. Cheapo amp, remember. I ended up with the gain turned all the way up and the crossover set in the lowest position. The amp has a bass boost adjustment as well and I didn't touch it. You can tell a huge difference when you turn the sub off at low volume, but it doesn't really thump until you turn the volume about a third of the way up.

With the amp pretty much adjusted I started playing with the head unit. I couldn't get any video to play no matter what I did. I did finally figure out the auto equalizer function though and hooked up the mic and let it run. It sounded really great after this. Well the video thing was really bugging me and no matter what I did with the parking brake I couldn't get it to play. Yesterday, my parking brake bypass came in. I pulled the dash and installed the bypass. Viola! I have video via dvd.

It's pretty cool, but I still have a couple glitches to work out. First is, the auto equalizer no longer functions with the bypass in. Second is I can't figure out the right format to get the headunit to play video from a USB drive. If anyone has any ideas on either of these I'm all ears. I've read that I can run a switch on the parking brake wire to provide power when the system is turned off to make the auto equalizer work, but that seems like a lot of hassle still. Any ideas?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice job looks good. Im hoping to put a new headunit in mine soon. Does the access wire harness work good in it? Again looks good. Great job!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used this wiring harness and it worked pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KO7Z6W/ref=oh_o06_s01_i00_details

The only problem I had was getting any video to play before I put the bypass in. It's possible that was operator error and I wasn't getting the parking brake dance right. I know that the feature did function though because I was able to use the auto equalizer, so it had to be reading the parking brake. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
UPDATE! Don't waste your money on a parking brake bypass if you have problems viewing video. I purchased one for this install, and set it on fire tonight. Thank God I didn't have the dash installed when it started burning. I was attempting to add a switch so that I could get the auto equalizer working and at some point the bypass decided it had had enough and burst into flames. Truck smells like crap now. Save yourself some time and money and go to radio shack and buy a small switch and some tap connectors and tap into the black wire on the accessory plug, run that to switch and then run from switch to parking brake wire on the harness that comes with the head unit. It's really easy and works very well. If you want to watch video, you may have to cycle it once after you fire up, but it's worth it for the auto equalizer to work. I used a square push button, on/off, and mounted it in the little cup where you see my aux and usb cable at in the pics above. It's really stealth and easy to get too when you want to push it.

And it appears that any video you want to play from the SD or USB ports needs to be in DIVX format and below a certain resolution. I'm using a free trial of some sort of software to convert videos now, but will be looking for a completely free converter when this runs out. Anyone have any suggestions on some free DIVX conversion software?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used this wiring harness and it worked pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KO7Z6W/ref=oh_o06_s01_i00_details

The only problem I had was getting any video to play before I put the bypass in. It's possible that was operator error and I wasn't getting the parking brake dance right. I know that the feature did function though because I was able to use the auto equalizer, so it had to be reading the parking brake. I would recommend it.
Well I finally got my new stereo system. It's nothing too fancy, but it sounds great for my tastes. I didn't take any pics of the install, as everything I've done has been covered here already, but I'll try to post up a few of everything installed here in a few.

I started out replacing my four factory speakers with four Polk Audio DXI650S. I decided to go with the 6.5's in the front doors as well. I'm no expert and someone is probably going to call me stupid, but my plans were to add a four channel amp in the future and I figured if the speakers matched, then it would be easier to match an amp to them. They sound so good now though, that I don't think I'll worry about an amp for quite some time.

Next I replaced my crappy 1.5 Din head unit with a Pioneer AVH-P4300. I went with this unit for the clean 7" display. I'm going to get an iPhone when my renewal comes up in April, so this unit will do a lot with that and I can use the navigation feature from the phone on it. I received the wrong color bezel (Khaki), so had to tape it off and dye it. I used gray dye instead of Charcoal and the contrast looks nice. I used the XSVI-6502-Nav to wire it in, soldering all connections. Note: There will be an unused plug in the factory harness and in the XSVI harness, no worries. Note 2: You have to initialize the XSVI harness before you plug it in to the stereo. Plug your soldered up harness into the factory harness, hook your battery cable back up, turn on the ignition for thirty seconds, turn it back off, then plug into the back of your stereo. This had me pulling my hair out for about 30 minutes. I went ahead and hooked up my remote turn on wire and plugged in my patch cables while I was in the dash.

Next I removed all my door trims and started wiring my amp kit. I used a cheapo 4 gauge kit, which is probably only half what it is rated. I figured this going in and bought the bigger kit. Got all the wires run and hooked up to my 8 year old cheapo DUAL 300 amp, from my previous truck. It puts out about 170 watts RMS bridged. Nothing spectacular. I also bought a cheapo single box all wood construction that fits on the drivers side under the rear seat. From what I could find out about the box, it had about .5-.6 cubic feet of volume. The cheap amp and small box had me searching for a sub that would work. I settled on the Rockford Fosgate Prime 10", fairly low power requirements and designed for a small box.

With everything installed I went about setting the amp. Cheapo amp, remember. I ended up with the gain turned all the way up and the crossover set in the lowest position. The amp has a bass boost adjustment as well and I didn't touch it. You can tell a huge difference when you turn the sub off at low volume, but it doesn't really thump until you turn the volume about a third of the way up.

With the amp pretty much adjusted I started playing with the head unit. I couldn't get any video to play no matter what I did. I did finally figure out the auto equalizer function though and hooked up the mic and let it run. It sounded really great after this. Well the video thing was really bugging me and no matter what I did with the parking brake I couldn't get it to play. Yesterday, my parking brake bypass came in. I pulled the dash and installed the bypass. Viola! I have video via dvd.

It's pretty cool, but I still have a couple glitches to work out. First is, the auto equalizer no longer functions with the bypass in. Second is I can't figure out the right format to get the headunit to play video from a USB drive. If anyone has any ideas on either of these I'm all ears. I've read that I can run a switch on the parking brake wire to provide power when the system is turned off to make the auto equalizer work, but that seems like a lot of hassle still. Any ideas?
Did you have any issues with sound ?
For some reason my sound is a bit sketchy sometimes like echo or vocals are there one moment gone the next.
Instrumentals are off they come and go. Any ideas... thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts