DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I had to replace my thermostat (pain in the ass) it was only a year old (don't purchase cdn tire failsafes POS). :doh:
Went and bought a good one from Lordco (190 degree) and already the truck runs better. The last thermo ran really cool, so either they sold me a 180 by accident or it was faulty when I installed it. The on board read that I was getting around 10.9mpg and the week before I changed the thermo I was only getting 10.4 (and no heat at all). Now the truck runs a little warmer (on the 60 mark instead of the 55) and the on board reads 14.5mpg? I'm gonna give it a few more days and see where it levels out. Has anyone else had a similar experience with changing thier thermo's?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
unless it's stuck open...same thing happenned to my brother on his bmw..complained about gas mileage and heat not workin well...told him to swap out tstats and he got a ton more miles out of a tank now...

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Makes alot of sense . A cooler running engine will use more fuel . Thats one reason when we install a aftermarket programmer they recommend installing a cooler thermostat . It makes the fuel mixture richer . More fuel , more power . These engines are designed to run hot which makes them more fuel efficient .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts