DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, looking for some suggestions on buying new tires for my truck. I'm currently running 315 75 16 BFG KO1'S which are very close to needing replacement. I do most of my offroading in the desert/scrub terrain with occasional rocky terrain thrown in. I'm from Vegas so it floods from time to time here so drivability in the rain is a must. I'm leaning towards general grabbers atm but im not 100% on that. Thanks for the input!

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Were you not satisfied with the BFG's?

I also drive the rougher parts of the SouthWest and for the last few years have made sidewall strength a priority after having a few too many of my tire failures be from a sharp rock through the side of a tire. So far I've had no sidewall punctures on BFG M/T , Falken Wild Peak A/T and Cooper STMAXX . I would buy any of those three again, actually liked the Falkens best because they did the best on the highway without ever letting me down on dirt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The KO1'S are ok but I notice they're not so great in the rainy part of the year here, tons of wheel spin. I kinda want something a bit more capable, how long did your Falken's last?

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
how long did your Falken's last?
I sold them before they were worn out completely; this is how they looked when I sold them - ignore the car, I just rolled them under it while it was jacked up as a joke.

That was with just about 39000 miles on them.

This is the type of terrain I drove them on a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lvZIXUNF1w The music on this video has some adult language, turn down your volume before clicking if that matters where you are -

We don't really get much rain or mud, and even the mud we get is sandy so A/T tires are good almost all the time in Arizona; but if your experience has been that you need a more mud-friendly tread pattern these might not be your style. Falken do make a mud tire too but I've never used it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool trail video! That's pretty much the same terrain I'm on 90% of the time but I guess I'll have to think a little more mud friendly because when we get mud here its deep and cakes like cement. Hilarious pic of that Saturn by the way, I used to have a neighbor who built a Taurus on some light truck chassis and it looked similar to this except way more ridiculous.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So far the Toyo Open Country AT Xtremes have been the best tire for my trucks, especially in the conditions you mention. I kinda like the 50,000 mile warranty too but you pay for it. Not cheap paws.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
A couple of my 4x4 buddies who drive rougher terrain than I do swear by Toyos - like you said they do have a price tag associated with it! I've never been brave enough to pony up for them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far the Toyo Open Country AT Xtremes have been the best tire for my trucks, especially in the conditions you mention. I kinda like the 50,000 mile warranty too but you pay for it. Not cheap paws.
Okay cool those were second on my list, you know I've learned not to cheap out on things like this the hard way, I'd rather save and spend more than have to buy new tires again in a month because I went cheap and blew a tire. How are the toyo's in the rain?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Like all trucks, without some weight in the back no tire is gonna perform. The Toyo Xtremes are far better in wet weather than the Toyo ATs but that said, put some weight in the bed. I filled some sand snakes with gravel for the winter months...HUGE perfornance improvement. They come in handy for all kinds of things too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, I usually put old tires in the back otherwise I'll spin out but good to know! The bfg's I run right now really suck in the rain which is partially why I'm looking elsewhere, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Take a look at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They have been getting good reviews from the off road community, they're priced right, and they have very good road manners, whether wet or dry. IIRC they carry a 55,000 mile warranty even in LT sizes.
I have a set getting installed tomorrow, but mine is for the unpredictable New England weather and plowing.

·
Registered
15,529 Posts
Take a look at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They have been getting good reviews from the off road community, they're priced right, and they have very good road manners, whether wet or dry. IIRC they carry a 55,000 mile warranty even in LT sizes.
I have a set getting installed tomorrow, but mine is for the unpredictable New England weather and plowing.
near me, a few jeep guys i know have had to change out their falkens when half worn. the sipping doesnt go very deep into the tread.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's interesting I do only light paved driving mostly offroad so tires usually dry rot before they go bald for me but I've heard some mixed things from my buddy who has an FJ about his Falkens

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scrappy, have you looked at KO2 ?
I have and I'm not sure about them, I'm afraid they may act similar to my KO1'S which perform pretty badly in wet conditions, lots of slippage which scares the crap out of me with how heavy my truck is on pavement, have you had them?

·
Registered
15,529 Posts
That's interesting I do only light paved driving mostly offroad so tires usually dry rot before they go bald for me but I've heard some mixed things from my buddy who has an FJ about his Falkens
i thought about getting them myself and have seen first hand, how thy wore. they became useless on the road in the rain. everyone loved them in the beginning though.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
The AT3W falkens are new, the ones that turned into rib tires after a while are the old ones that aren't on falken's website anymore.

I had the old ones and after 39k+ miles they still had real tread so even if they had turned into rib tires at 50k that would have been a good lifetime. Anyway the AT3W are a whole new tire, don't know much about them. I'll be watching how they work out for other people :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have and I'm not sure about them, I'm afraid they may act similar to my KO1'S which perform pretty badly in wet conditions, lots of slippage which scares the crap out of me with how heavy my truck is on pavement, have you had them?
Scrappy, they're much better than the first-generation KO's in the wet. The work vehicles have the first-gen KO's, and yes it can get a bit hairy in the wet. The KO2's on my truck have been great, very stable and no hydroplaning even at highway speeds. I have tried to deliberately get them into deep standing water and they've taken the puddles in the grooves on the highway like a champ.

Just like any tire it's possible to overpower them in the wet and make them spin, but if you're driving normally they have terrific grip. Also, heavier usually means more traction - but more momentum when you actually do lose it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do like that they added some more grip on the side wall as well, I guess I'll have to take a look at them again. The hydroplaning was really my concern as I drive all highway once a week and losing control at 70 mph is not cool. Has anyone had any experience with the General Grabbers or n know anyone running them?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts