DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy some new tires, and am looking for some opinions. I've got a stock height 2017 Lone Star 2wd with the stock 20x8 wheels. I'm looking at 305/55 20 all terrains. Whether they will rub or not seems to be hit or miss on the reviews. Some say theirs did, some say theirs didnt. Since the rubbing is on the control arms, I imagine I could get away with a small spacer (5-10mm) to provide the clearance needed. If I have to level it, I was planning on the Maxtrac 2.5" coil/shocks level kit for the front and the Maxtrac 1.5" spacers for the rear. I'm not interested in a 4" lift, so that's out of the question, and I dont want to raise the front 2.5" and have my truck sit nose high (I hate that look).

The tires I'm considering are (all in 305/55/20):

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZP3

BFG AT T/A KO2

Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Dick Cepek Fun Country All Terrain

I really like the look of the tread pattern of the Mickey Thompsons and the Dick Cepeks. The Falken are the cheapest, and not by a small margin, and then theres the BFG which have been around a long time so they must be doing something right. The BFG are probably the last on my list, but they still made the list. I dont do much offroading outside of the occasional trip to the beach and camping a few times per year. My last trip to the beach, I got stuck in some pretty soft sand, twice. After the first time, I watched probably 20 people get stuck in the same spot over about a 2-3 hour period. The second time (on the same day) was at a different exit, but equally soft sand. I realize tires alone arent the be all end all, but at least it would offer a better chance over the stock tires, and besides, who doesnt like some meaty all terrains on their truck?

So, anyone have any experience with the Mickey Thompsons or the Dick Cepeks? How do they perform in general, and in comparison to some of the others? I know a ton of people have the falken and the BFG, so I dont necessarily need reviews of those, but if you have a reason to recommend any of them over the others, I'm all ears. Of the 4, any particular recommendation?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Without commenting on size I recommend the BFGs. I have them in the stock size in which they are a load range higher than most others (The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are E), so they help with hauling and towing. Its also my opinion that good tires are even more important on a 2wd than a 4wd to prevent getting stuck. I am coming up on 53,000 miles on mine

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a good friend that had the Mickey ATZ. He says they are amazing on and off road except garbage if you do any winter driving in snow or icy roads. He has the 305/55R20 also actually. If you are doing warm weather driving I'd recommend those ones. If you are using a year round tire and drive through winter conditions, I'd recommend KO2.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
That is a big tire for an 8" wheel.

I ran a set of tires ( 17") that were wide for the wheel and let's just say the handling on dry pavement was less than stellar and down right unsafe in certain conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a good friend that had the Mickey ATZ. He says they are amazing on and off road except garbage if you do any winter driving in snow or icy roads. He has the 305/55R20 also actually. If you are doing warm weather driving I'd recommend those ones. If you are using a year round tire and drive through winter conditions, I'd recommend KO2.

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, we dont really have any kind of winter to speak of. We get a light dusting of snow about every 8 years. It does rain a lot, but I'm not worried about that, a little common sense goes a long way.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a big tire for an 8" wheel.

I ran a set of tires ( 17") that were wide for the wheel and let's just say the handling on dry pavement was less than stellar and down right unsafe in certain conditions.

I've thought about that as well.

Can you elaborate on the "certain conditions"?

I dont drive my truck overly hard, I dont try to corner fast, it is a big truck and I understand it is not the most nimble vehicle on the road. I know there are emergency situations that require quick maneuvering, especially at highway speeds in Houston (these idiots are more focused on their phones than the 3 million other cars on the road).

I do plan to buy some 20x9 wheels in the future, the when depends on a few other factos. I'd like to have the tires already, but certainly do not want to endanger my family in the mean time.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Out of tires listed, I would suggest BFG's, as well.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

I've thought about that as well.

Can you elaborate on the "certain conditions"?

I dont drive my truck overly hard, I dont try to corner fast, it is a big truck and I understand it is not the most nimble vehicle on the road. I know there are emergency situations that require quick maneuvering, especially at highway speeds in Houston (these idiots are more focused on their phones than the 3 million other cars on the road).

I do plan to buy some 20x9 wheels in the future, the when depends on a few other factos. I'd like to have the tires already, but certainly do not want to endanger my family in the mean time.

Any fairly hard quick braking with the steering wheel turned or going around a bend, the truck felt unsafe - felt like the tires stuck to the pavement but the wheel moved in the tire side to side. I felt it was just a matter of time before I lost control if I had to make that movement in an emergency.

The other condition was going around a bend and hitting a bump - felt like the wheel would move so much sideways inside the tire that the bead would let go on me.

This was with a a17 x 7 wheel and 285/70/17 tire - but the same as yours as far as the wheel is 1/2" narrower than the narrowest rec. wheel spec. The rec. a 17 X 8 as the narrowest for that tire.

I actually bought a set of Laramie Longhorn wheels and put stock size 20's General HTS60's on and now it handles a 100% better. Feels safe and predictable at speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I just put a set of Toyo open country at2 extremes on my 2018 ram. They’re 295/65r20. I threw a 2.5” leveling kit in it and have no rubbing whatsoever. Found it’s the biggest you can go without going with an offset. Since the stock rims are a +19 offset. Can always get some 3/8” spacers that require nothing to install on d you do go with the 305s

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I decided against leveling, lifting, or struggling with any fitment issues. I ordered (and am having installed today) 285/60 20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

I went to Discount to get a quote and they wanted $1870 installed for 4 of them, and had to order them from Nitto direct so it was going to be 3-4 days before they got them. Went to a local shop I've bought most of my tires from (went to school with the guy who took it over from his dad), and they were a little over $200 cheaper, and had them in their warehouse, so they'll have them this morning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the tires installed this morning. They're the perfect size for staying stock with wheels and suspension. Bigger than stock, but require no trimming or lifting to fit. And they're quite aggressive, with no noticeable road noise over the stock tires at 65-70 mph. Quite happy with how it turned out. Now just gotta get back to the beach and see if they do what they're supposed to.

Attachments

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Those do look great on your truck, nice job! Will be curious to hear your review of them after a few miles.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Looks great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts