DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I also bought new tires for the truck. I found out during the rains in Feb and a couple of weeks ago (not much rain around here) that the back end wanted to slip on right and left turns. Even with the remaining tire threads left on the Good Years? Went with Michelin Extender LTX's and will get them in several days.

Just so you know, I am not a hot-rodder on the turns, so that is not available as an excuse.

I have always been a Michelin fan and so went back to them. Not sure why the Good Years act the way they do in adverse weather, but with a trip coming up did not want to continue with that problem.

·
Registered
708 Posts
As a rule, all of the manufacturers put tires that ride nice and are quiet on their new trucks. Goodyear makes some great tires, oem tires tend to be a compromise. Michelins are great, but expensive, still may not be the best once 75% worn out.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've always like the Michelin truck tires. I have a set of the M/S 2 tires on now they are very quiet and have good traction. This set is not going to last as long probably because I have been doing more city driving. I'm down to 4/32 with 35K on the tires so it will be time to replace soon.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Got 60K plus quiet miles outta the first set of Goodyear's and went back to them. Why fix what ain't broke.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the Michelin LTX AT2 and love them. Still look great with over 30k miles on them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had Michelin’s on my other trucks and liked them. Do not see why they would be any different on this truck. I also like some of the very aggressive tires, but not sure how noisy they are?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like those tires, but wonder how they sound in the cab?
No highway driving yet @ 65+. But just installed them yesterday and the drive home 45-50 mph was very minimal. Let wife drive and I rolled down the passenger window and I couldn't hear any thing from the tires.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
You can't go wrong with Michelin's. I have always bought those for my vehicles. I had the LTX AT2's on my F150 and really liked them. Decently aggressive looks and weren't super heavy like most AT's are.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well today got to take it out on freeway @80 mph and they are shaking the truck! I emailed General Tire and ask if they will pay for a Road Force Balance!

We have one tire shop in town that can RFB the tires, they charge $25 per tire! The sales man told me if the tire can't be balanced I would have to take them back to the retailer that sold/ mounted them to me.

I like those tires, but wonder how they sound in the cab?
No highway driving yet @ 65+. But just installed them yesterday and the drive home 45-50 mph was very minimal. Let wife drive and I rolled down the passenger window and I couldn't hear any thing from the tires.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Marine6212 sorry about the shaking. I would not want that. Our speed limit here is 75mph, so when I get the tires that will be what I will be checking them out for. Hope they ride Ok. Should get them early next week.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really like these Michelin Defender LTX's. They give a smooth ride and have a lot of thread on them. Have not been over 65 mph yet but they handled that speed with no shaking or problems. When they checked the balance on each tire I was informed it was a two part spin which I am not sure what that means. So will try 75 mph on the weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts