DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new here and to Dodge. I bought a 1992 D250 5.2 4x4 a couple of days ago after my wife's 96 Bronco kicked the bucket. I'm having an issue with the brakes. They seem to stop OK but with having to apply a little more pressure than what I think would be normal. There is also a hissing coming from under the dash where the brake goes thru the firewall. Also there is a leak on the backside of my master cylinder.

I know I should go ahead and replace the master cylinder but my question is would the hissing be caused by a bad booster also or could the hissing be something else?

I've also checked the check valve and hose for leaks and didn't find any.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have another question. I just checked my VIN and it says that it is suppose to have a 5.9 360 in it but the PO told me that it was a 5.2 318. How can I visually tell the difference so I know what I have?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. You might have a really rare bird there. 1992 was the first year for the 5.2 Magnum. Looks very different all dressed out than the previous LA version. The 5.9 became a Magnum in 1993. So, do you have a single serpentine accessory drive belt or multiple V-belts?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
So unless the PO changed engine blocks, you should have a 360 pre-Magnum engine. Throttle-body injection, meaning 2 big injectors in the carburetor-lookalike throttle body. It is possible he put a 318 in there and bolted the 360 heads and intake, etc on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot that it not only runs on gas but it also runs on LP. So I suppose it is possible that the engine has been swapped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to pickup a booster w/ master cylinder today. Hopefully I can get it installed this weekend and it will take care of that annoying hissing sound. Then I'm going to figure out how to remove the LP and get rid of the tanks in the back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts