DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres an old dodge pickup with running engine and clean title in my area for 500 obo. I really like the older dodges even though this one is lwb but the tranny is out in this one so id like to know a few things before i buy and commit to rebuilding. Id like to know if new process has come out with any manuals with an overdrive that are fairly close ratiod. This truck will be very light duty such as a small boat or trailer for motorcycle or 4wheeler. So i dont need a granny gear and would like better mpgs. Ive read about the a833od but ive read the design is very weak and that wont work for a truck. The truck a833 seems like a better alternative but idk about bell housing matching up. I cant seem to find info about mopar like ford, chevy or nissan. But if anyone knows a workable manual swap that can still take the abuse from a truck wih overdrive and a decent spread of gears id be very thankful. If not i guess ill just have to rebuild the np435. I also cant seem to find info on its rebuild as most refer to the ford version. What would be some neccesary rebuild upgrades? Im very new to learning about transmissions but manuals seem very simple in their workings. Thanks everyone for the help and dont knock me too hard for being nissan loyalist maybe this new 318 will be as unkillable as my vg30i.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also does anyone know if nv3500 swaps right in? Without any adjustments besides hydraulic clutch conversion? Ive heard its moderately strong id rather it than the nv4500 because its geared closer and is lighter and cheaper. Also if somebody could mention a few good remanufactured transmission vendors thatd be helpful.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
On all 318 the bell house bolt will line up. So yes nv3500 will work. Now as for stronger? But nv4500 would be better bet. There's no sincronizer's and sometimes under hard acceleration my 3500 will lock me out of 3rd. That suck's and isn't fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts