DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So first off hello! I'm new to it all, Dodge trucks and forums.... Yep another newbie.. but I can't take it anymore I need Dodge guys input and experience!!
I come from a long line of Chevy trucks guys. I've only owned Chevy's and I've had 100 of them. You can already see what this thread is going to be I'm sure. The ride is crazy!!! I'm driving myself nuts with vibrations and wandering steering and terrible highway ride.
The truck is an 08 2500 crew cab single axle hemi 5.7. yes I'm aware a 3/4 ton isn't a 1/2 ton but this isn't the first 3/4 ton truck I've owned either. Rams seem to be a breed of their own. I bought the truck having a slightly more than general knowledge and experience with dodges from owning a used car dealership for 12 years and having been burned by the 2nd generation of ram trucks and all their issues. The "push pull" steering I'll call it and straight axle design gives for different feel at the wheel I get all that also. My head throb is the vibrations I have at highway speeds, it makes me nervous enough I'm laying under it every 50 miles down the highway checking gear oil levels and tugging n pushing n pulling n smaking n shaking any and every part I can put my hands on from the steering linkage, to steering box, u joints, the entire front end, drive shafts, axle bearings, shocks, springs, EVERYTHING! still I can't find anything loose or suspect.
So I'm constantly online reading and researching and finding many guys throwing thousands of dollars into these trucks chasing vibrations and shaking, I also read tires seem to be a HUGE factor with these trucks. So before I am one of the guys just throwing parts under it just to see if it changes anything, how much is just the nature of the ram beast? what do I need to know as a first time ram owner? Do I need to be as paranoid about the front end letting go at 70 mph? What should be the first I replace to improve ride? As for ujoints I'm just going to start replacing them, axle joints (both sides) one week, driveline the next and be done with it, I'm sure 120k it won't be wasteful. Any input is great. I'm just so paranoid about this truck, I travel for work and put 10k miles on it in 2.5 months. My anxiety level is off the charts when I'm running I95 at 70!

·
Registered
937 Posts
First get your tires roadforce balanced, it isn't expensive and has a high likelyhood of removing some of that vibration. Also upgrading the stearing stabilizer isn't that expensive and even if it doesn't solve the vibration issues you have a little more peace of mind.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What brand and size tires are on the truck? Certain tires are know to cause wandering or pull on Ram 2500/3500 trucks. Is your suspension stock or lifted? How many miles on the truck? Original ball joint's, tie rod end's, steering stabilizer?

Vibrations as you probably know can be caused by tires or a driveshaft out of balance. Aggressive tread tires can get pretty unruly as they wear down especially with uneven wear. U-joints, if factory, are probably toast so replacing them is probably a good idea.

FWIW, a truck like yours that has good suspension components along with the correct tires should not be a chore to drive so you have to identify your issue/'s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've come to learn both responses to be pretty standard, and I thank you both for the help. Tires I do know will cause chaos, I've just never felt it amplified in the ways it is in this truck. I thinking because of it being straight axle and the way the steering is designed, it allows many vibrations and road conditions to be transferred through it's components verse a traditional CV axle set up. This is what makes sense to me maybe I'm way off. My tires are worn unevenly and I have rotated them every oil change to smooth the heel on the front tires. I will start with upgrading suspension parts and new tires. Thank you again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If your tires are worn unevenly then a good balance and alignment is called for. I would recommend you look at the tie rod ends and drive shaft. In a previous truck my high speed vibration drove me nuts and was a slightly warped drive shaft. I replaced it and balanced it and saw huge improvement.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hard to help without seeing but here goes

Since you mention the tires are worn my first guess (hard to analyze online) would be alignment related. My 2001 2500 was aligned and still pulled slightly. The steering gear was worn slightly and only when the trucks weight was on it and someone was turning the wheel could you see it flex a little; just pulling on it by hand showed nothing. A new/rebuilt steering gear solved the problem. I added a steering brace at that point also to help the new parts last longer. I have also replaced the other front suspension parts over the years mainly due to the fact that they had no grease fittings. I also had a vibration at higher speeds which was the center driveshaft bearing. I also replaced the u-joints which were worn but still sealed at 230,000 miles.
There are so many items to check. If someone else worked on it did the change u-joints and not keep the phasing correct on the driveshaft? Is there a brake caliper not releasing all the way? Front axle bearings? Ball joints?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help. It's been a very frustrating deal with this truck from the gate. I have decided being the truck now has 122k miles and what I can see I'd OEM parts I will start the process of a complete suspension overhaul, ujoints and axle bearings and go from there. I will keep ya all updated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thank you all for your help. It's been a very frustrating deal with this truck from the gate. I have decided being the truck now has 122k miles and what I can see I'd OEM parts I will start the process of a complete suspension overhaul, ujoints and axle bearings and go from there. I will keep ya all updated.
If you intend to replace the front axle bearings and u-joint's may I advise going with a full front hub lockout setup. The kit replaces the front axle unit hub sealed bearing with serviceable traditional wheel bearing that you can clean and repack just like old school 4x4 trucks had. Plus the kit add's real lockout hubs so you can disengage the front axle from spinning when driving it 2wd which saves mpg's and wear and tear on front end. Check out Dynatrac https://www.dynatrac.com/free-spin-kits/dodge-truck.html or Spyntec https://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=26 for kit's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts