DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New here and I was having some dealer issues and wondering if you guys have any idea what I should do. I am kind of sad about my purchase, when I should be super stoked.

Been a Ford guy and recently bought my first Ram. A 1500, 2012 Big Horn. I bought it from a Dodge dealer, and now they are giving me hassle about a repair I would like done. Here is my story:

I live in PA, and bought it in WV. Came back to PA and found the original sticker in the paperwork. I found it was missing the running boards. So, I went under the truck and found the holes for the rocker panel were blown out. As if the truck was in an accident on the passenger side. I call the salesman and tell him of this and he just argues that the car fax was clean. blah blah. So I let it go figured I would get a buddy to weld me some metal over the blown out holes. Well I went to him and he looked at it, and here, it won't pass inspection because there are holes (non-factory) in the rocker panel.

Call the dealer, get VM twice in three days. Today he answers and treats me like a 5 years old. He tells me I had ample time to look it over and it was a used truck and things happen to used trucks. He then got loud with me and said, "we are not going to fix it, you are a grown man capable of making your own decisions". I said, all I want is for you to fix the three holes, or reimburse me the estimate i got of 350 bucks. He said "listen, we are not fixing it, end of story, have a nice day" and hung up on me. I live in PA, and we get a lot of snow. I just want these holes fixed so rust does not destroy my rocker panels. Plus I would like to put step sides on for my wife and kids to get in easier.

Am I in the wrong for not looking over the truck? or is he in the wrong for selling me a truck that won't pass inspection. I mean the way he talked to me was just plain rude. I never raised my voice once and was polite. I was always told you get more with sugar than spice. I mean, if I am in the wrong, I accept that. But you would figure a dealer would work with you to keep your future business. Maybe they figure that since I am 2 hours away they won't get my future business anyways. There guys were great to deal with during the sales process. Just makes me mad the way he talked to me, and the service after the sale. I was going to send an email to the owner but can't find out who it is on the website. The tech nerd came out on me and I did a whois on the website, but its registered to godaddy. I also downloaded the attorney general's auto purchase complaint form for WV. Might fill it out this weekend.

Thanks guys in advance for the replies. Going to get my mind off this for a while.

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
I would continue with the complaint form, because it is a Safety Issue

If you did buy it from a Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler dealership, their website would usually have a sitemap at the very bottom of the page, look for about us, then staff

Like if the dealership happen to be Urse Dodge Chrysler
you would do what i wrote above & this is what would come up
http://www.ursedodgechryslerram.com/mstaff.htm

Other things to do

go to the DealerRater website & write a review, good, bad, or indifferent
http://www.dealerrater.com/

Bureau of Automotive Repair complaint
Better Business Bureau complaint

Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was victory Dodge in Kingwood, WV. They do not seem to have any information on their employees on their website. Although the websites are pretty much exactly the same thing.

I did update my review on google. I gave them a glowing review after they asked me to give them a review on google. I mean, who asks for a review.

I have the paperwork printed out for the Attorney General. I will get all the required copies done tomorrow and get it in the mail. I will also follow up on those websites you linked for reviews.

I was also thinking of contacting Chrysler directly. Not sure if they would do anything since it was a used truck. But the way that dude talked to me should be an embarrassment on their business. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Welcome to the Ram Forum " Z " yostmatt :wavey:

Sorry to read about your ordeal :doh:
I would grab all of your paperwork including the part of
not passing inspection and bring it to the attention of
the General Manager or Owner, you've already mastered
the be nice part so continue with that. However there is
NO REASON for the treatment you received from the sales person.

Good Luck !

Keep us posted ;)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
You bought it, drove it off the lot, it;s your and not much you cna do about it.

regarding the holes, RAM steps mount to teh underside of the rocker panel, which is not very thick metal, they are known for ripping out, form teh rocker and tearing the wholes even wider. Reason so many stepo manufacturers are now placing a Z shaped brakets behind teh rocker metal, to act as a re-inforcer, so their steps last longer, on teh truck.

luck to you but doubt you get anything out of your efforts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent a email to Chrysler and here is what they emailed back to me.

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center regarding
your 2012 Ram SLT.

We are very sorry to learn of the problems you have encountered and have
opened a file regarding this issue.

Given the concerns raised, we would like to further discuss concerns
with your Dealer to provide the most accurate information possible.

We have documented your concerns and have made them available to our
dealership development team for review.

Once we have been in contact with the Dealership we will be back in
contact with you. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the
matter and sincerely appreciate the time you took to contact us.

Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional
assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this
email message or call 1-866-RAM-INFO (1-866-726-4636).

Sincerely,

Pam

Customer Service Representative
RAM Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
Not sure who the dealership development team is, but maybe they will help me out. I got this back Monday morning. I will give it a few days and follow up with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's also odd that I have a Big Horn, but when I filled the VIN in the form, they came back as SLT.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That is actually normal. It is a technicality but the Big Horn is a "package" on the SLT, legally speaking. I think they try to limit the legal/technical number of trim levels due to some type of cost issue, like having to crash test each one or something like that. For example, the Longhorn is actually a Laramie Limited w/ Longhorn appearance package or something like that.

Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope it gets resolved, and that a-hole learns his lesson when FCA calls him and gives him a tongue-lashing or worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I had a similar problem yesterday. Drove from upstate NY to Philadelphia for a 2012 1500 SLT, paid 15k at 124k miles. I made it very clear to the dealer that I was looking for a clean truck, which is hard to find in Rochester. Of course they showed be a truck which the bubbling was cleverly hidden on the underside of the rocker. And of course when I got home and did a more thorough inspection, I was able to put my finger through the rockers. The dealer won’t do anything, so here’s my question:
Should I bother with a 3k repair to weld new rockers on both sides? Will they just rust out again next year? Anything anyone can recommend?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey guys, I had a similar problem yesterday. Drove from upstate NY to Philadelphia for a 2012 1500 SLT, paid 15k at 124k miles. I made it very clear to the dealer that I was looking for a clean truck, which is hard to find in Rochester. Of course they showed be a truck which the bubbling was cleverly hidden on the underside of the rocker. And of course when I got home and did a more thorough inspection, I was able to put my finger through the rockers. The dealer won’t do anything, so here’s my question:
Should I bother with a 3k repair to weld new rockers on both sides? Will they just rust out again next year? Anything anyone can recommend?
Get some more quotes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts