DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just picked up a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4. I had owned a 2004 several years back, but it was the Hemi. This truck has a 360/auto in it. Seems to run well, but I notice a little miss when I'm not giving it much gas, just a small studder? It does not do it when I give it more gas? I don't think the last owner did a tune up, so I think I will start there. It almost feels like if you have a bad plug wire that's not always hitting.

Another question is that I need a new bottom cushion for the drivers seat. I need to replace the foam and the fabric. The rest of the seats are in great shape, only the bottom one on drivers side is bad.

Thanks for any help you can give me and I'm happy to have joined the forum.

Steve

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. Be sure to check out the newbies section so that you can get a proper welcome.

Keeping in mind that I'm no mechanic, it sounds like you're on the right track for fixing your little stutter in the engine. A new set of plugs and wires, perhaps some other ignition parts (I'm not sure if that engine is equipped with a cap and rotor or not), having the timing checked/ adjusted, some filters and an oil change and she should start running like new.

I'm not too sure about the seat cushion. I would suggest starting at a junk yard, but you may encounter the same problem on anything that you find there. Your best bet (but also your most expensive) might be to visit a local upholstery shop.

I'm sure someone else will come along later to try and add their take on your issues.

Exco

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't time these engines, so don't worry about that. I agree, plugs and wires would be a place to start.

I had a 98 and I had the drivers seat repaired, it was torn. I'm guessing a good automotive interior repair shop can make it like new.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
start with plugs and a good set of wires, then i would check for vaccum leaks. i would check after market seats and start fresh.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It may very well be your intake manifold gasket. This truck now has several years on it and the gasket was prone to failure. While plugs and wires may be your fix you might end up replacing the manifold gasket. Check the form here I recall someone did a write up on how to do this. Sorry but I had the dealer do mine on my 97.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
start with plugs and a good set of wires, then i would check for vaccum leaks. i would check after market seats and start fresh.
The rest of the interior is in awesome shape and I hate to spend money when it does not need spent. I think I will check into a shop to fix it. I was just wondering if they sell new foam and covers for the stalk interior is all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here's a couple thing you can try. At night or in the dark with the engine running use a spray bottle of water and spray around the ignition sysyem,wires ,cap etc look for spark jump. Also with the engine running spray carb cleaner or ether around the intake manifold, and vacuum lines if the engine idle changes you got a leak there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts