DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an 86 dodge d150 and im having starting issues its got a new battery new alternator and a new voltage regulator... it will start if i boost it but not on its own... any suggestions??

·
Registered
753 Posts
Check all your battery cables,both hot and ground connections also. You might have a bad wire. Have the battery load tested. Probably bad wire though.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you can boost it then you battery is weak. Did you charge up the new battery with a charger. New batteries rarely come fully charged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can boost it then you battery is weak. Did you charge up the new battery with a charger. New batteries rarely come fully charged.
The battery is strong and full charge we just had a charger on it and we tested all of our connections we could find and they are all good she fired once on her own i shut it off now she wont start again

·
Registered
11 Posts
It’s the ground. If it starts with a jump, it’s the ground. Make two or three ground from 2 or 4 gauge wire. Battery to engine from that engine ground to frame. And from battery to frame. Your starter is grounded and bolted to engine but there’s just not enough ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s the ground. If it starts with a jump, it’s the ground. Make two or three ground from 2 or 4 gauge wire. Battery to engine from that engine ground to frame. And from battery to frame. Your starter is grounded and bolted to engine but there’s just not enough ground.
I just got Thru yesterday working on 1989 Dodge D250 5.9 cumming .The Alternator went out so we bought a new one it looked right installed it & within 5 miles it quit charging .So took it back I asked what Amp was it it was a 80 Amp . The book calls for 120 Amp got a 120 Amp & went ahead and replaced external voltage regulator .Since they have had issues with the computer telling the Alternator to over charge the battery .anyway I had a bad external volt regulator & replaced it with 120 volt Alternator from Napa .worked fixed it .Hope this help u out .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Typical. I have to inspect everything they put on the counter. The sad part is all the time it takes to chase self made problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts