DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm interested in purchasing a new 2012 1500 sport crew cab with a hemi 5.7 engine. I read through a lot of posts regarding the option for the 3.92 gear ratio vs 3.55's and it seems like the consensus is that the 3.92's are better for towing and will give the truck more power off the line. I test drove a crew cab sport today with 3.92 limited slip and it felt kind of sluggish from 0 to 50mph. I then drove a crew cab with a 3.55 gear ratio and it seemed to feel more powerful. I don't understand why the 3.55 felt peppier. The salesman said it was because the 3.92 tends to upshift faster, but I'm not sure that's accurate.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The 3.55 will hold gears longer, I have the 3.92 and really like it. Spins like nothing if I want, didn't seem as "boggy" off the line as the 3.55, but first gear still goes to upwards of 70kmh (40 mph) on mine. Gas mileage on a clear day is 18 but I only have 2400kms, 1500 miles.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Test drove both when I bought my truck. I honestly do not remember feeling a difference off the line as far as peppier goes for either gear. Even though I know the 3.92 should feel peppier. I can tell you this, it was wet and the 3.55 open gears easily spun the right rear every time from a stop (especially a right turn). The 3.92 LSD did not. That is the main reason that the truck I bought had to have this option. That and I tow a trailer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can get the lsd option on the 3.55 now. I have 3.55s, lsd and 20" wheels, I tow a 19' bassboat and it does great in the mountains here. I wouldn't let the ratio be a deal breaker unless you plan to lift and go 35" or 37" tires and tow as well. Then it may be an issue.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You can get the lsd option on the 3.55 now. I have 3.55s, lsd and 20" wheels, I tow a 19' bassboat and it does great in the mountains here. I wouldn't let the ratio be a deal breaker unless you plan to lift and go 35" or 37" tires and tow as well. Then it may be an issue.
Yes, forgot about that option. LSD is a must for the Hemi IMHO.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I ordered a crewcab sport. I ordered it with the 3.92 lsd . I will be towing a 26 foot trailer too, so the 3.92 was a no brainer .

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The sport I test drove had the 3.92 but I didn't try a 3.55

Man it was quick though! If I didnt need 3./4 ton, I would have that blue sport with snout hood in the driveway!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts