1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi 5.7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone :)

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 -Hemi 5.7

I was losing coolant, so I brought it in to a dealer for a repair I thought the water pump was possibly bad. Turns out it was bad, they put in a new one along with a new thermostat. Great, not so much the tech did not put the clamp on the top rad hose properly and it blew off the top rad/hose connection spraying coolant everywhere under the hood. I put the hose back on but not before the temps got up to 130 Celsius (I’m in Canada). Now it soars up ward of 120 (@)123 the red high coolant temp comes on)
Any thoughts on what this could be? I can’t drive it back to the shop as it gets to the red pretty quick. Maybe a bad thermostat? ( it was just put in )

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts
I did not know that. What do you recomend for this truck?
You'd have to look at your owners manual to make sure. Probably HOAT or OAT and even those should not be mixed. Don't ever put in the so called "Universal" (green) in with others even though their instructions say it's compatible. Also need to use distilled water as well or public water has minerals in it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Perplexing. I would hope the troubleshooting/repair includes putting the system to a state of almost new. That would be checking the temp rating and part number on the thermostat, flushing the system, refilling with a single brand and looking at what comes out during the flush, checking any hose that runs coolant through it. There may be inner hose deterioration. Possible clamp replacement too. Heat from normal use may cause wear.

New parts sometimes are bad.

This all takes time, patience, and money. Start from simple to complex. Not sure a shop is willing to be as diligent as they might be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you getting flow through the radiator? If not its possible that its airbound from losing coolant when the hose blew off. Either way the dealer is the one that should be making it right. Forgetting to put that clamp back on them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The tech was neglected and you should not have to pay more. Air I would suspect. They can get it out. Use Mopar coolant. Checking the thermostat in boiling water to see if it opens. You can run truck without a thermostat in summer even though computer want like it. Should be easy fix.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you didn't mention when the hose disconnect/coolant lose occurred. Were you driving down the highway at high speed? How long/far do you think the engine ran with low coolant? I ask because this same thing happened to me on a Volvo 4-cylinder driving at 60 mph. By the time I noticed the overheat, the engine was toast. The heads and block warped from the heat and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hose blew off. Engine got extremely hot.
Now hose repaired, filled with fresh coolant. Engine gets hot.
Is it blowing out the coolant?
You should have had it towed back to shop that did the repair.
Block check/ chemical check needs to be done. Check for exhaust gases in cooling system. Blown head gasket, something cracked? Aluminum heads do not do well dry, over heated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts