DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 4WD on my new Ram, because I can't get back to my deer stand without it. I've been borrowing a relative's Rhino to get in there for years, but he's selling it.

This is my first 4WD truck, and since I'll only be using the system during deer season, I was wondering if I need to "exercise" it to keep things lubricated during the rest of the year?

I know this is a dumb question, but it seems that all the bearings/seals would age from disuse, if they never turned for 10 months of the year.

Thanks in advance for any advice. The manual doesn't mention this anywhere.

pullin

·
Registered
747 Posts
It should be fine if it's not used 10 months out of the year. There isnt a whole lot too it and most of the parts are used during normal driving (minus the front transfer case). It wouldn't hurt to kick it into 4wd periodically, just make sure you are on a dirt or gravel road (or snow covered) so the front wheels can slip independently when turning.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
should be ok I would think if not used for 10 months, In the snowy states and provinces 95% of people with 4x4 dont use them for most of the year until the odd snow fall when the roads are covered.... I know you shouldnt shift into 4x4 at high speeds, I think its recommened you be under 40 kph (25mph) or something like that, shifting it out you are fine at just about any speed... hope that helps abit

·
Registered
128 Posts
Put it in 4 wheel drive on any pavement for short periods. It willl not hurt. I have left mine in 4wd several times after pulling my boat out and driving home, 35 miles. Nothing hurt. I didn't even notice until I got home.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
It also depends on which 4x4 your truck came with to see when you should use it (road condition wise)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Engaging the FWD system at least every few months gives me a reason to run off road a little. I have a place that is a little over 60 acres and I do love to run in FWD even if not needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Engaging the FWD system at least every few months gives me a reason to run off road a little. I have a place that is a little over 60 acres and I do love to run in FWD even if not needed.
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I think I'll use the above recommendation.

"Honey, I'm sorry but I've got to go to the deer lease this weekend... it's a maintenance necessity. It'll save us money in the long run. You understand, right?" :)

Apologies to the board for the late reply. Been gone awhile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I bought my truck the first owner didn't use the 4x4 for two years. The only thing that was messed up was the little black oring that connected the shifter to the transfer case easy to replace

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was always told to engage it once a month if only for a hundred yards of driving. It cant hurt so I always do it. I've never had a 4x4 failure on any of my vehicles so I can only assume it helps....

·
Registered
11 Posts
It should be fine if it's not used 10 months out of the year. There isnt a whole lot too it and most of the parts are used during normal driving (minus the front transfer case). It wouldn't hurt to kick it into 4wd periodically, just make sure you are on a dirt or gravel road (or snow covered) so the front wheels can slip independently when turning.
i agree with NWROC here. make sure you use it where the front tires can slip when you turn. and i work in the automotive aftermarket industry and most of out failure occur when the first snow falls for the year and they dont work. i recommend testing the 4wd once a month. i pop mine in on the dirt roads for a little while or in the field just to keep everything moving.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Whats up? Dont mean to steal the thread, but I have a 09 4X4 with a 4" Pro Comp lift. I bought it this way and every time I hit a dip there's a binding type noise coming from which ever side I hit the dip with. I want to say it's a tire rubbing but there's no way. It almost feels like a brake is applied to that wheel and I can feel it in the stearing. Could this be the ESP re-acting? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sorry this comes from being a Chevy IFS owner, but have you checked your wheel bearings?

What you describe is exactly what was happening to my Chevy 4x4 diesel when the bearings were toast. If that's the case, get on it right away! I jacked up my front wheels and could hold the tire at 12 and 6 and wiggle it a couple inches!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Also, if you do replace the bearings, shop around for the aftermarket ones with better build components/quality that come with a lifetime warranty for less than half what the dealership wants for an exact replacement of the one that failed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow...Wheel bearings already? I scored with this truck only having 7900 miles on it and I've only owned it for several months now. I will jack it up and see if I get any movement. I have a bumper to bumper warranty and the dealership should replace these, shouldnt they??

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Not likely. They will fault the lift and heavier/larger wheels and tires...which is entirely plausible. Do you know if the lift was installed correctly? One wrong setting in the suspension could cause excess bearing wear.

Lets just hope its a freak coincedence, and that your dealer is gracious enough to replace under warranty, but I would bet they void your warranty on your suspension and bearings, at minimum.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.