DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with this being my 1st 4X4, i was just wondering what speed can you drive with 4X4 on high or lock?
something like "dont drive at more than 50mph while 4 wheel drive is engaged". im asking cuz i dont what to damage anything. is there a speed that you shouldnt drive beyond? thanks

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
chances are if you need to be in 4x4 high speed driving is not what your about to be doing. I believe 4HI will go 70 before it turns itself off and 4 low/4lock should be used for low speed situations only like under 15 lol. I think the manual says what speeds it will work/is safe on parts

·
Registered
229 Posts
almost sure snow white covers it to the tee. i personally only use 4x4 high when i drive across the bridge home from groton to new london, its a big bridge and in the north east in a RC sports truck, it kinda tends to get slick.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help :smileup:. reason for asking is when the snow comes im usually out the door before the plows hit the hwy's and if im in 4 lock i was wondering around what speed i should turn it off and return to 2 wheel drive.

thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
4WD High in a part time system like in the RAM can be used at any speed as long as there's a sufficient lack of traction. There's no reduction in 4wd High.

In low range, you'll quickly find out where it will and won't work. There's no speed restriction per se, other than the mechanical one imposed by the rev limiter and the transmission. 30mph at 6000 rpm sucks.

4WD on pavement doesn't work. The front and rear axles don't travel at the same speed and a part time case doesn't allow for differentiation between front and rear. Basically it locks the front and rear axles at the same speed.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
thanks for the help :smileup:. reason for asking is when the snow comes im usually out the door before the plows hit the hwy's and if im in 4 lock i was wondering around what speed i should turn it off and return to 2 wheel drive.

thanks
4Hi got me through ~10" @ 40mph no problem with only one wtf is goign on moment, but that was driver/navigator mis communication not the truck lol.

If you NEED 4wd cuz of road conditions I dont see much faster than that being safe regardless of how many wheels you ahve driving

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i re-read my orignal post and it could have been taken that i was asking about off-roading speeds in 4hi, which is not what i meant. does the 4 wheel drive system turn itself off at a certain speed regardless, even if the indicator is still on 4 lock?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I believe 4hi will turn itself off, but i believe that 4 low/lock is governed

·
Registered
669 Posts
Remember to stop and put the truck in neutral before you switch into 4lo (and switching out of it). I also throw it in 1st gear whenever in 4lo, to prevent excessive driveline speeds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Drive the speed limit in 4 high, and 4 low is slow for off road. Never ever use 4wd on dry pavement!!! It will break something. If you are sliding sideways and need to straighten out shift to 2wd to get straight then back to 4wd. Unless you have lockers, then you only have one wheel per axle pulling. I would highly recommend installing a powertrax locker in the rear. They are very street friendly and will take you through stuff that 4wd without lockers can't go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts