DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished replacing my track bar, all tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, and shocks and I still have a chatter that occurs when I'm going 60+. It does not rattle the steering wheel but I can feel the frame chattering. There is no pulling or mishandling of the truck, just the chatter at 60+mph. It seems to come and go depending on either a hard left or right turn. I'm wondering if its the front stabilizer bar and/or stabilizer link arms. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi Tween! What is the condition of the hub bearings? Do they pass the tests? How about the wheel joints? Did you replace these? I did this in my first Ram by beating them out. I bent the yokes doing this. Got a vibration I couldn't find, or fix. So you say it comes and goes with hard right and left turns? Hub bearing. If you do find that you you need hub bearings, try Amazon, and use the Timken bearings. Much better than the crap you can get at Autozone. Seriously, jack the truck, and wiggle the wheel. That should tell you the health of the bearing. There should be NO play.

Reactions: Mop

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Lazarus on this one if the condition is worse when turning it is most likely the hub bearings. If the hub bearing is ok, then I would start looking into the steering stabalizer. What size tires and when was the last time they were balanced?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check for wheel play this week, I doubt its the tires they are pretty new and the problem existed before the new tires. I'm running 285/75 15's. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a ford 4wd that had some of the same symptoms, I also replaced ball joints, tie rod ends shocks, wheel brgs and anything that was part of the front suspension, but I believe the main problem was my front U-joints and a set of $7.00 plastic bushings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear you about the bushings. I had aftermarket shocks on
The front and the bushing was completely gone off both. Instead of replacing both front shocks, spent $10 at Advance Auto and the difference is amazing. Bushings wore out prematurely. Saved myself about $300.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Rock Auto is also a good source for parts and their shipping and customer service is great. 2 days from order to receive in Ontario, Canada.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts