DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am new here but have always worked on cars and truck. I am looking at getting a 2018 Ram 3500 Limited with the Cummins turbo diesel. I have looked everywhere and cannot find anything in aftermarket axles gear ratios and I was wondering if anyone know if the 3.42 ratio is the highest I can get. If it is, are there any ways to get the engine to spin slower at cruising speeds. I am also looking at different tunes for fuel economy and power. Not at the same time. Just when I need them. Thanks for your advice in advance. If anyone knows anything about these trucks that is good or bad, please let me know. Thanks.

·
8,090 Posts
3.42 gears are the only option available in a SRW Cummins equipped truck. That will be plenty high enough for the truck even in stock form. You don't want the engine turning any lower rpm than it will with those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. What would be some other things to get better fuel mileage. I could theoretically cut the fuel being injected a little bit to decrease the fuel consumption. However, that would decrease my power. Does anyone know any tuners that work with these trucks? I am still debating the Aisin vs 68RFE deal. I won't be towing much, however I will be going to the track every so often. Just want thoughts and ideas. Thanks.

·
8,090 Posts
Tuning would be the only way to achieve that. You can't simply cut fuel to reduce consumption.
Ideally tuning and deleting will give you the best fuel economy. I would recommend going with a set of custom tunes and ask for the best fuel mileage possible from your tuner. Typically the highest power level tunes provide the best fuel economy as long as you can keep your foot out of it. If fuel economy is your goal, that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What exactly do you mean by deleting? I'm coming from gas engines and have never owned a diesel. All of this is new to me. I'm just trying to figure out if a diesel would be good for all around driving. That includes towing, road trips, trips to town, racing here and there, stuff like that. Most of it will be highway trips. Just trying to figure out how to minimize my fuel consumption.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Delete the emissions equipment. the DPF the truck comes with will catch diesel particulates and then to clean itself out it essentially dumps fuel into the engine. Its not great for your engine, its worse for your fuel mileage

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like a dummy dpf filter. It looks like a dpf filter but has nothing in it. Kinda similar to a gutted catalytic converter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts