DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, so I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone could help me out with what to do in terms of my cam. I want to swap mine out just like many before me however I do not know much about them or the whole process. I know it is time consuming and seems difficult but is there any way at all that I could do this myself? I've never done any motor work myself before. Also, I was looking into the Comp Cams 260 but am not sure which cam is right for me. I don't haul and I mostly use my truck for travel and for flying down the highway with my buddies. I would want more torque especially on the low end around 1000rpm and up from there. If someone could help me out that would be great. I was also wondering what modifications would be necessary in doing the swap, head bolts, non-mds lifters, etc. as well as recommended items maybe a new intake manifold? I could really use the advice. Thanks

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I'm shopping too! :) The less duration, the more torque and low end you will have. A 260 would be a good choice, also check out Inertia and Shophemi.com!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seem to like the Crazy Jay better. Especially since I can't afford to do heads or anything like that. It says it works well with stock exhaust manifold and heads which is a plus. Which were you leaning towards?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2007 so I would either go with the Crazy Jay or the Spartan. I just checked that out and it looks pretty dirty. I have a predator tuner so it would work out according to what they have there. Do you think thats a good route?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
For torque and grunt, crazy jay! Wait for Chefred112 or Autobred to chime in too! They have cams, and race!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If that's the case then crazy jay it is. My only issue is installation, are you planning on doing it yourself or having a shop do it?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I live in OKC but I found an Inertia authorized installer about three hours from my house. It would be worth the trip to have it done right. I have nevr done a in depth job like this myself, and would rather have someone else do it. I could probably pull it off, but I am smart enough not to try. Plus it has to be dyno tuned to run right. SOOOO for me, it's someone else. Probably going to do mine in the spring time. Make sure you get some better opinions too before making a decision :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very true, I'm out in Jersey there aren't many shops that do this kind of thing that I know of. I would rather have someone else do it too but it all depends on the $$$$. Some guys go over the top with how much they charge. Did that installer quote you a price?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
hey guys, all excellent choices for cam. I have a spartan but i also have all the supporting mods to go with it (bv heads, tq verter, big cai, gears...). Alex, you might want to talk to Paul (wilabrakeloose sp?), he's out in your neck of the woods and has done a few installs. As for cam install stuff, here is the stuff I would also get:

6.1 exhaust valve springs (16x), 6.1 pushrods, head gaskets (I like to pull heads to do springs), exhaust manifold gaskets, head bolts, cam bolt, crank bolt, 2 gallons coolant and 2 gallons distilled water, cheap oil and oil filter (to run about 15 minutes after install), regular oil and filter, only special tool you will really need is a chrysler specific harmonic balancer puller, valve spring compressor

in simplest form involving cam swap...
drain oil and coolant, remove coolant reservoir(s), remove upper and lower radiator hoses, remove fan, remove shroud, unbolt tranny and power steering coolers and set aside, remove radiator, remove radiator cross member support (notice how easy it is to get to motor now) . remove cai, remove alternator, unbolt ac compressor and bugee to hood above, unbolt power steering pump and set aside, remove crank bolt and use puller to pull crank underdrive, remove belt tensioner and pulley, remove coil packs, remove valve covers, remove rocker arms and push rods, unbolt and remove timing cover (leave water pump bolted to timing cover), relieve tension on timing chain tensioner, remove cam bolt, pull cam gear off, remove chain tensioner, set chain aside, spin cam a few times to push lifters out, slowly pull cam out carefully, apply assembly lube to lobes of new cam and insert cam into block...... uhhh...brain fart...more to come later..lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey guys, all excellent choices for cam. I have a spartan but i also have all the supporting mods to go with it (bv heads, tq verter, big cai, gears...). Alex, you might want to talk to Paul (wilabrakeloose sp?), he's out in your neck of the woods and has done a few installs. As for cam install stuff, here is the stuff I would also get:

6.1 exhaust valve springs (16x), 6.1 pushrods, head gaskets (I like to pull heads to do springs), exhaust manifold gaskets, head bolts, cam bolt, crank bolt, 2 gallons coolant and 2 gallons distilled water, cheap oil and oil filter (to run about 15 minutes after install), regular oil and filter, only special tool you will really need is a chrysler specific harmonic balancer puller, valve spring compressor

in simplest form involving cam swap...
drain oil and coolant, remove coolant reservoir(s), remove upper and lower radiator hoses, remove fan, remove shroud, unbolt tranny and power steering coolers and set aside, remove radiator, remove radiator cross member support (notice how easy it is to get to motor now) . remove cai, remove alternator, unbolt ac compressor and bugee to hood above, unbolt power steering pump and set aside, remove crank bolt and use puller to pull crank underdrive, remove belt tensioner and pulley, remove coil packs, remove valve covers, remove rocker arms and push rods, unbolt and remove timing cover (leave water pump bolted to timing cover), relieve tension on timing chain tensioner, remove cam bolt, pull cam gear off, remove chain tensioner, set chain aside, spin cam a few times to push lifters out, slowly pull cam out carefully, apply assembly lube to lobes of new cam and insert cam into block...... uhhh...brain fart...more to come later..lol
X2 with what Fred wrote. If you've never broken into a motor before then I would hire one of the truck guys local that done them. Offer to lend him a hand and you will get a good idea what's involved. As far as cam all the 260ish grinds will perform about the same, and they sound like what your looking for. Some may be a little easier to tune then others, I would go with either the Crazy jay or Comp 260. You get the Crazy Jay from Inertia and the Comp I would go to Moe's Performance....
http://moesperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_192_1152&products_id=241
Tuning should be simple as a performance tune on a tuner, which you will need for it to run, but if you want to go the custom tune route for even more power then you're limited to Diablo....again something Inertia can handle. I'm not sure what your mods are but to get the most from the cam I would go with LT headers, single 3" free flowing exhaust, CAI. Gears and converter are nice additions but not really needed with a TQ cam. Another thing is if down the line you decide you want a different cam then the hard part will be done when you change the springs out the first time, that's really the most difficult part, that and making sure the cam is timed correctly.....anyway good luck!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will definitely have to have someone put it in for me then. I have a dual 2.5" exhaust from the cats but I didn't touch my headers. In terms of rods and springs is there anything else I need to purchase other than those along with the cam itself? I'm most likely gonna go with the crazy jay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts