DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For racing on a pretty much stock setup, do you guys have your tow/haul mode on? Also, do you turn off traction control?

And what about manual shifting? If I suck at manual shifting (which I'm sure I do) should I let it shift by itself?

These may seem like really silly questions, but I have a lot to learn!:sad:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
When I am playing, I just turn off traction control and shift the truck manually. IMO, I think my truck comes off the line better with traction control off.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If my understandings are correct it would launch better w/ traction control off b/c the computer would not limit power or delay the transfer from pedal to the truck but if you have enough power you risk losing traction in that case youd have to do some practice at launching to start not just flooring it

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the power to spin the tires even with traction control on and without stalling it. But I think if I'm spinning either way, its better to spin with traction control off than on right? I dunno :LOL:

What about tow/haul mode? Timmy, you mentioned you put it in 5, you can do that without putting tow/haul mode on, so I'm wondering what you mean.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I could be wrong but tow/haul just keeps your truck from going into overdrive. With your R/T you have a 2600 stall I believe. If I were you I'd go play with launches with revving up to 2400 or so, trac control on and off and feather the throttle to find the perfect mixture. If I were to make a suggestion I would take traction control off, keep your foot on the brake as you rev to 2-2200 rpm and start off with the pedal about half-2/3rds of the way down till you hook up. Using manual shift would be up to you and your comfort level...

Just my .02. Let's hear from the real experts...

E

·
0 Posts
Traction control off.

Warm up your tires really good before you get to the line.

Put truck in O/D off

Let it shift itself. It's better at it, and faster, than you are. :D

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Freddie (Chefred112)...who runs a 12.38 1/4, told me not to hold the throttle open before launching, the motor will pull timing and will be slower off the line then just smashing it down! You just need to find out how much smash your truck can take without spinning. And I ran my truck in 3 with traction control on. T/C off for the quick burnout, then right back on.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was messing around a lil tonight and found that the truck seems to shift smoother and take off better with Tow/Haul on and Trac Control off. I upped the RPMs to about 1,800 I think..(I just listen to when its about to spin, I don't actually check the RPMs) and then I took off and my tires only spun for a split second. Then at the next stop light I was on a 10 MPH roll when I mashed in the medal and then I had a hard time getting traction, I was spinning really bad..it was fun :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Freddie (Chefred112)...who runs a 12.38 1/4, told me not to hold the throttle open before launching, the motor will pull timing and will be slower off the line then just smashing it down! You just need to find out how much smash your truck can take without spinning. And I ran my truck in 3 with traction control on. T/C off for the quick burnout, then right back on.
I'm a lil confused about not opening the throttle all the way...can you explain about the motor pulling timing?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
torque management....In simplest terms, over the years I've tested stalling the motor (1800 - 2200 rpms) before the lights turn green and just nailing the pedal at go and have always been slower when stalling up...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I was messing around a lil tonight and found that the truck seems to shift smoother and take off better with Tow/Haul on and Trac Control off. I upped the RPMs to about 1,800 I think..(I just listen to when its about to spin, I don't actually check the RPMs) and then I took off and my tires only spun for a split second. Then at the next stop light I was on a 10 MPH roll when I mashed in the medal and then I had a hard time getting traction, I was spinning really bad..it was fun :D
you confirmed what I just posted..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm starting to understand this...what I've noticed on tow/haul mode is that it makes my RPMs higher by about 700-1,000 RPMs, even during normal driving. So that means that tow/haul mode would be a good thing to have on, right?

What confuses me is why in the world would Dodge put a 2600 stall torque convertor on a truck that starts spinning by 2,000 RPMs when stalling up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum......looking for tracks in TX (near Houston) also ready to start mod'n. Thinking:

1. Intake
2. Chip

Dreaming of Headers .....

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
some of the serious Ram performance guys are out in Texas...and Houston..lookup Ray (Daytona81)..his truck is seriously fast...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Chefred, how big is the shot?

As far as launching, DO NOT PUT IT ON THE CONVERTER. Its not like launching a clutch car where coming out of the hole at "max" RPM keeps you from bogging, torque converters are ment to get your truck off the line and they do their job great! Give it enough gas to get it off idle (like maybe 300 rpms) hold it there and dump the brake/mash the gas when you see the third amber light. (assuming were tlaking drag strip)

Idk it putting it in 5 and going for it makes 3rd gear really "2nd prime", but if it doesnt i would shift it myself and just bump it into the next gear every time it shifts. With the pedal on the floor it isnt going to short shift you and letting "3rd gear" bridge the gap between 2nd and "actual" 3rd.

burnouts help, but if you over heat street tires they tend to get a little slimey, youll have to experament with that.

I think I'm starting to understand this...what I've noticed on tow/haul mode is that it makes my RPMs higher by about 700-1,000 RPMs, even during normal driving. So that means that tow/haul mode would be a good thing to have on, right?

What confuses me is why in the world would Dodge put a 2600 stall torque convertor on a truck that starts spinning by 2,000 RPMs when stalling up?

Just because its a 2600 stall doesnt mean you start to move at 2600, dont crucify me for this as ive always had clutch cars and never fully understood autos, but its more of a when the converter is fully engaged. Kinda like slipping the clutch on a car, you move before the pedal is all the way out, but your not putting 100% of the power through the driveline

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
the shot I'm running now is either a 100 or 125 shot...going to the track sunday to play..
When do you hit the switch, are you hitting it early or late into the run? I've been watching some of your vids. I remember the little Dakota that was running you sounded like he hit a little too early a couple of times unless the sound was something else. I'm guessing he hit it and turned it back off and then turned it back on but not sure, lol!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts