DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I'm Spyke and I just recently purchased a 1998 Dodge ram 1500 Laramie extended cab 2wd. drive it for a few weeks motor blew up two cracks in it pulled that bought another magnum 5.2L reinstalling it back into the vehicle my first question is how do I prime the oil pump had the pan off add to pull apart the oil pump make sure that it was clean and had to switch out oil pans because the new motor was in a van not a truck and it had mid mount sump did all that now worried about getting the oil pump primed anyone know how to do that without any special tools number two is is there any special ways or tactics or whatever to stab the transmission back onto the motor or do I just get in there and get her down and make sure everything is lined up properly and get it done any information will be worth it's weight in gold to me hopefully it's not some pre-written POS anyways if you cannot respond on here you can always email me at SP I KE.C a [email protected] all lowercase thank you for your time have a good one

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Z!

Sorry can't help you with your problem however I suggest you post your problem here for a quicker response.

If there is anything you need assistance with please feel free to Email us at [email protected] or start a thread in our Vendor Section and we would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have!

We all love pics, so if you have any you want to share please post them up.

-Randy

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Welcome to the Ram Forum " Z " Family spyke420 :wavey:

I'll move this to the thread that RansRam suggested for a quicker response ;)

Good Luck and again Welcome !

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've heard of some shops using an extension of sorts to spin the oil pump shaft with the distributor removed... though I suppose you need to have the cam disengaged from the distributor shaft for that to work.

That being said, someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't believe you need to prime the oil pump, otherwise you'd have to re-prime it every time you changed the oil. The above method i believe is for getting a new engine lubed up before its first fire.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Just remove all 8 spark plugs, then spin the engine over a few turns. This will allow the oil pump to build pressure without any load to speak of on the rod and crank bearings. As for the trans, line it up and bolt up. Bolt the flexplate to the crank. Since the '96 and newer have what is called a 90 degree pattern, there's no special position the flexplate has to be in to bolt to the converter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts