DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 96 ram 1500.360 auto The tranny was rebuilt about 4k ago. When i hop on the interstate, O.D. on and accelerate. The truck drops to 2nd, it quickly upshifts and drops back down to second. It only does this with o.d. on. Other than that everything else seems ok. No check engine lights.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hello, I have a 96 ram 1500.360 auto The tranny was rebuilt about 4k ago. When i hop on the interstate, O.D. on and accelerate. The truck drops to 2nd, it quickly upshifts and drops back down to second. It only does this with o.d. on. Other than that everything else seems ok. No check engine lights.
It's normal for the transmission to downshift when you accelerate, it's suppose to because of the gear principle. Basically in order for that truck to accelerate it's going to need alot of torque and in 4th gear the truck isn't putting a great deal of torque at the wheels so it downshifts to 2nd gear which delivers almost 4 times as much torque as 4th gear does. Now if you're driving and it just downshifts out of nowhere then it can be valve body related.

Before I would go ahead and worry myself about something, I would take a look at the throttle valve cable, the shop might not have adjusted it properly. With the cable adjusted properly you should be able to go WOT and not be able to move the throttle lever on the transmission back any further. This will give you good quick firm shifts with little or no overlap.

Make adjustments with engine off:)

Any questions please ask

1 - 3 of 3 Posts