DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a set. Wanted to know if any one is running 275/60/20 on their trucks and what psi do you keep them at???

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac
1,481 Posts
Run my XL(5-ply) in that size between 36-40psi cold depending on season/towing. Rotate every 6k miles and after 30k still have 10/32 left.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Get you a piece of chalk and go to a road where there is no traffic a side street will work fine. Take the chalk and run it sideways across the tread of the tire from the inside to the outside, set your tire pressure at 60 PSI to start, now drive down the street a ways to wear off the chalk, if you have chalk on the inside and outside edges of the tread you can lower the tire pressure some, only remove 5 PSI at a time and drive some more and check again, keep dropping the tire pressure until the tire no longer has any chalk on the tread, you have now reached a tire pressure that will evenly wear the tread of the tire.

For the chalk buy some of that chalk used for children to write on the ground with as that should be easy to find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had mine nearly 60,000 miles. I run them at 40-42 psi. Had 1 tire that kept leaking down. Discount Tire couldn't find the leak and last week it got a puncture on the road on my way home. New tire, problem solved. Only negative on them is they've not been able to balance them. Always had a shake and shimmy at 55-70mph, so I drive faster so it's not as noticeable 😁

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get you a piece of chalk and go to a road where there is no traffic a side street will work fine. Take the chalk and run it sideways across the tread of the tire from the inside to the outside, set your tire pressure at 60 PSI to start, now drive down the street a ways to wear off the chalk, if you have chalk on the inside and outside edges of the tread you can lower the tire pressure some, only remove 5 PSI at a time and drive some more and check again, keep dropping the tire pressure until the tire no longer has any chalk on the tread, you have now reached a tire pressure that will evenly wear the tread of the tire.

For the chalk buy some of that chalk used for children to write on the ground with as that should be easy to find.
Great info. That is old school

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had mine nearly 60,000 miles. I run them at 40-42 psi. Had 1 tire that kept leaking down. Discount Tire couldn't find the leak and last week it got a puncture on the road on my way home. New tire, problem solved. Only negative on them is they've not been able to balance them. Always had a shake and shimmy at 55-70mph, so I drive faster so it's not as noticeable 😁
I think it may be related to Discount Tire, I have a set of General ATX in 33x12.5x20 from them and until this last rotation and balance they could not get these tires right, this time they did and I don't think I will have them rebalance again, just rotate. I was starting to think the General tires were just not good, but now they are smooth. I don't see many larger size tires coming in and out of there and maybe they just don't have the expertise, don't know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whatever the manufacturer of the truck recommends is on the door jam and that is the best PSI for the weight of the truck. If the bed is always empty you may get away with less air in the rear tires and match the front ones. The chalk test is the dumbest trick ever dreamt up and is worthless in the real world. Same goes for the tire and load charts from the tire manufacturer. If after 2,000 miles that is uneven wear readily apparent on the tires you can make chages. Overall the best wear is with regular tire rotation at 5,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got them sitting around 40psi. With it being cold here I moniter them through the truck. So since I had them put on which was Wednesday or Thursday I think their around 37psi now. Of course on the highway they'll jump up to 38-39psi. But so far so good. No road noise and no shakes or anything. I'm happy with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts