DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Real close to buying some tires. Almost positive it's going to be a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers. Here is the question: I have an 11 big horn crew with a 2.5 ready lift. I talked to a custom shop initially that recommended the 295/60/20 over the 295/65/20 this was going off aftermarket wheels. What I am thinking now is going with the 65s on the stock 20" alloys. I'm not interested in spacers. Will the 65s work without rubbing?? Any opinions welcome, practical experience, technical knowledge, or photos even better. Planning on talking to Discount Tire when I get back from leave. Thanks for taking the time to read...

Per Nitto website:
295/60R20 = Overall Diameter: 34.45
295/65R20 = Overall Diameter: 35.47

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the 295/60/20's on stock alloys, no spacers ... if I had to do it all over again I would have bought the 295/65/20's ! It's the width that's the problem. I only have a 2" level and there is plenty of room for 35.47". I would still test fit before I purchased however, my shop allows test fitting.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the 295/60/20's on stock alloys, no spacers ... if I had to do it all over again I would have bought the 295/65/20's ! It's the width that's the problem. I only have a 2" level and there is plenty of room for 35.47". I would still test fit before I purchased however, my shop allows test fitting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey man, thanks a lot for the reply. Makes me feel better about committing to the 65s. I figured where you'd run into problems would be with the withdrawal (ie a 1250), but with the 2.5" the height would be fine. Thanks for the pic as well. Have a good Christmas.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
So you are running the 295/65 on stock 20s with no spacers and no rubbing? Even at full steering lock? As you said, height isn't the issue but I was under the impression that generally anything wider than a 285 would likely rub even if only a little bit.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
thats a good looking tire...id love to see a few more pics of your truck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put on my nitto trail grapplers in august of 2011 and i do want to warn you of one thing. They do not last very long at all. mine are already at thier last stages of life. ill probably get one more month out of them. But other than that they do look fantastic on a dodge and perform great. I am a farmer and they really do make a difference in the mud. If you can afford replacing them every year and a half i would definately recommend them just cause they look so good. Here is a picture of mine. Goodluck!

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
So you are running the 295/65 on stock 20s with no spacers and no rubbing? Even at full steering lock? As you said, height isn't the issue but I was under the impression that generally anything wider than a 285 would likely rub even if only a little bit.
No, I have the 295/60/20's ... not the 65's ... no rub no spacers. The stock alloys are 8" wide I think, the chrome clad's are 9" ... so that must make a difference. On the 9" wide rim might rub I guess??

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
now thats what im talking about...

what a great setup you have there...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what do you guys think? Try the 65s if I can? From what I understand on the stock alloys (8"?) with the same width (295), the height difference of 1" should be a non-issue with the 2.5" level. The difference in aspect ratio (60-65) shouldn't make a difference as far as rubbing on the UCA. Sound right?

·
Registered
364 Posts
So what do you guys think? Try the 65s if I can? From what I understand on the stock alloys (8"?) with the same width (295), the height difference of 1" should be a non-issue with the 2.5" level. The difference in aspect ratio (60-65) shouldn't make a difference as far as rubbing on the UCA. Sound right?
I would say you are correct ... I will put the 65's on mine when the 60's wear out. The 65's are taller, but same width so should be ok ... in theory. The tire shop initially suggested a 35 inch tire when I first got there. They told me they routinely install 35" on leveled 4th Gen Rams. "If it rubs a little, just make smaller turns." lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say you are correct ... I will put the 65's on mine when the 60's wear out. The 65's are taller, but same width so should be ok ... in theory. The tire shop initially suggested a 35 inch tire when I first got there. They told me they routinely install 35" on leveled 4th Gen Rams. "If it rubs a little, just make smaller turns." lol
Haha I like your theory. Smaller turns it is! I'll keep this thread updated. I'm trying to put up with the HPs until winter is over and the heavy traveling is done. I'm going to talk to discount tire 1st week in January. I'll let you all know what the 'experts' say.... Thanks Express.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing how your planned set up works and seeing some pics. Long live the thread. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I wasn't thinking about you guys having the 8" wide wheels. That could very well be why the 295s don't rub. I agree that if the 60 series tires don't rub the 65 series shouldn't either. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Im starting to like these tires in the 295 size, the more I see them on these trucks. Keep the pics coming! After winter is over, I'll be in the market for new tires and the Nittos are on my list.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im starting to like these tires in the 295 size, the more I see them on these trucks. Keep the pics coming! After winter is over, I'll be in the market for new tires and the Nittos are on my list.
Yeah man - that is 100% my plan too. Get through the MI winter just in time for the tax return. I've yet to talk to Discount Tire about 65s but from all of my research, they should be good to go... Looking forward to getting some pics up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Spring better get here soon ... I wanna see them 65's on yur trucks! I wish I had done my homework before I bought my 60's.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
Spring better get here soon ... I wanna see them 65's on yur trucks! I wish I had done my homework before I bought my 60's.
Nothing to feel sorry about, your Ram looks amazing. That little superman hanging from your mirror is a nice touch. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 115 Posts