DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here - I've read a lot of posts here that have helped me figure out what may be the problem with my 2nd gen single-cab 1500 laramie, but I could use more personal advice. Long story short, I was an idiot and power-washed my engine bay (But hey it looks awesome), and now, it's sticking in 2nd too long, most of the time doesnt even start in first from a complete stop, usually starts in second gear. No slipping, shifts smooth as ever. Was thinking it could be a solenoid or a solenoid fuse but the fuse box is covered, and I couldn't have hit it at an angle to get water into the fuse box. Not to mention, a lot of other crap would've hit the fan alongside it. Anyone got any good ideas as to what might have happened so I can go to a shop with better knowledge?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would take a long and careful look at the shift linkage where it attaches to the throttle body. If you got all sideways blasting that with a pressure washer - you could have blown the cable right out of the hole groove it rides in. There is a very specific way that thing is routed and attached and if it ain't right - it won't shift right at all. I would also check it down below on the trans. Search this forum or the net for "Dodge Ram TV Cable Adjustment"

Pressure washing the engine bay.....good lord....:) At least it's clean to work on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been a week or two since it started happening, and it was actually the other way around, no 2nd and stayed in 1st too long. However, it almost seems my truck got better with more driving - as if it was getting used to something. Maybe a week or two prior to the pressure-wash and this whole deal, I had my muffler removed (Chokemaster 44 series..Ugh. Previous owner idiotically ****ed this truck up, but its turning into a beauty now that I've had it for a year) but I feel like the lack of back pressure would've been noticed almost instantaneously. I lost low end torque but gained high end for sure, I knew that. I plugged in an advanced reader and I've got 0 codes, every system is Ready or Not Applicable. The shifting is still smooth, though it noticably slows down when shifting from 1st to 2nd, like my low end has 100ft lbs of torque lol. Haven't tried stomping on it (Would love to, sounds beautiful save for still having that classic gigantic catalytic converter) so I've no clue how'd it act during that, but otherwise it drives normally, no erratic shifting, but when cruising through neighborhoods at low, low speeds it stays in 1st sometimes, other times it shifts into 2nd like it should. Wondering if maybe I just need to change the fluid and filter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
it sounds similar to an issue I have. Does it it shift when you let off the gas? Mine does. It seems like a vacuum issue. Not sure though. Mine also has issues with the HVAC blowing out the defrost while on the highway. when I let off the gas it blows out the front panel. It seems to change when Im going uphill or accelerating. It also leaks gas when its hot and the gas cap is tight. Im sure someone can help. Its my first time getting on here to ask and look for answers. Sorry I havent read through the forum very deep yet! Im sure I will find the answers Im looking for on here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Topher12 it sounds like you have a vacuum issue. My 98 did the samething. I brokre a vacuum line when I replaced the water pump. I fixed it & solved my vents too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts