DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,601 Posts
well, i think either too many buyers told dealers about the web site & said something that caused the site to get changed to dealer only access
or
a couple members mentioned that the dealerships could NOT get access either

so likely the site is down, maybe their servers could not keep up do to all the requests

·
Registered
292 Posts
We're not supposed to have access in the first place. I agree with GTyankee, seems like chrysler caught wind of customers knowing more than they should and using that to their advantage. It's unfortunate because I enjoyed checking up on my truck daily.

The last update I was able to get is that mine is staged for shipment with an ETA of 05/17, which is Tuesday. So not to get my hopes up I'll be driving my new Ram within 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
32,601 Posts
i think it is available to everyone, or at least it was

i am guessing that every vehicle when it leaves the factory gets a GPS tag, this tag stays with that vehicle during transit to the dealer & is removed by the dealer & sent back to the factory to get re-programmed & put in another vehicle for transit. Some company supplies these tags & follows the vehicles movements. In the USA vehicles that company is INSIGHT, maybe another company tracks Canadian bound vehicles.

trucking outfits also have tracking systems, as do freight cars, police departments have GPS units that pinpoint them to within 3 feet, etc.

BMW uses Wallenius Wilhelmsen website to track vehicles from factory to dealers worldwide

·
Registered
292 Posts
The sites back up and working guys :smileup:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Insight down!

Looks like the insight website is down again.

I was experiencing some issues with the site last night, but the site eventually started working again. Now today the only thing I see when I search for my vin is the insight logo. Nothing else!

Anyone else having the same issue?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Same thing here - noticed it first thing this morning around 6am.

Always the worst timing.. mines so close now!

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's back!!!!!

My truck is just near the Alberta/Saskatchewan border!

·
Registered
292 Posts
lol talk about timing.. but damn!!! Mines still in Buffalo :(

Gresswj - I was provided a Von# (vehicle order number) then I called the 1-800 number and they were able to provide my VIN

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm alittle concerned now it says placed at industry.. anyone else see this ever?

I'll flip my lid if it sits for another week!!

·
Premium Member
32,601 Posts
when you order a vehicle it starts the paper trail, usually within a week or two, the paperwork hits some office somewhere & they assign a number to it, that number is called a V.O.N. vehicle order number, i am not sure but i think this is when it changes from a stack of papers to the computer files.
then VON continues through the process & gets to some office, where they confirm all the data & apply through Chrysler for a permanent Identification number, this new number when received is called a V.I.N.Vehicle Identification Number

the VIN number as well as the VON number & the BUILD DATE are what is on the BAR CODE that is on the WINDOW STICKER that you see on every NEW Vehicle at the dealers sales lot

so if you had the proper code reader, you could walk up to a vehicle, activate it over the bar code & store it, & go home or to the office & you could decode it, if you were so inclined
the first ELEVEN identifiers (in no particular order in this post) tell you the country it was made in, the town, what it is like car or truck, GVWR, 2 or 4 wheel drive, the Series, 1500, 2500, etc., cab type, engine, check digit, model year.
the last 6 identifiers & this is just a guess, almost have to be color, special packages, wheels, where it was shipped to, etc.
Next is the VON number in the bar code, then the Build Date

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was able to get the VON from my dealer about a week after I ordered. Its possible I could have gotten it sooner but thay was the first time I spoke with him since ordering.

I found a site that would breakdown the VIN number and decode yours explaining everything. But JT is pretty much on the money other than the order.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm alittle concerned now it says placed at industry.. anyone else see this ever?

I'll flip my lid if it sits for another week!!
Oh boy!
Mine has arrived in Hardisty, Alberta (roughly 3 hours outside of Edmonton).
It's only June 1 today yet insight shows the train arriving in Edmonton on June 4. Not sure what the wait is, unless they have to unload some vehicles for Calgary?

Honestly, that doesn't make sense though...they would probably have put a train car right in Calgary, if that was the case. I'm hoping! :sad:

Delivery to dealership is still June 8 (my wife's birthday). Nice birthday present (considering the truck is mine, not hers. Actually the truck is for both of us.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts