DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.. Having a little issue with my 2010 1500 sport (about 75K miles) I'm hoping you might be able to assist with. I seldom drive my truck for longer than an hour but I was recently on a trip about 3 hours away. I had the AC running on low the whole trip as it was a really warm day out. About 2 and half hours into the trip I could tell it was getting warmer in the truck so I cranked the fan speed up. I could hear that the blower motor was running fine but quickly realized that air was not coming out of the dash vents any longer. I turned the fan speed to the highest settings and again I could hear the blower motor kick up but still nothing coming from the dash vents. I cycled through the different vent settings but no love. After I arrived and the truck cooled down everything was back to normal. I did replace the blower motor only because it had started making a weird noise about 6 months ago but still worked. I took another 4 hour trip recently and the same exact thing happened. Warm day, running the AC on low and about 2 and a half hours into the trip I lose the air movement again. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds to me like the coil is freezing up when it stops blowing turn the a/c off but leave the fan going that will thaw it out pretty fast if that works you need to get your refrigerant checked can’t remember if to much causes it or it my be low ????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds to me like the coil is freezing up when it stops blowing turn the a/c off but leave the fan going that will thaw it out pretty fast if that works you need to get your refrigerant checked can’t remember if to much causes it or it my be low ????

I agree with this, low freon will cause this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My brand spanking new 2018 ram with less than 1600kms on it did this exact thing. No matter what I did, floor/dash/defrost, full heat, full cold, recirc on or off, turning the system on or off, there was no change. But I could feel what little air that was getting through switching between the vents.

I know it's not the coil freezing because there's zero air flow coming from the vents and after 20 mins, I pulled off the highway, turned off the truck, waited until I could hear the blend door moving (sounds like vacuum escaping to me), started it back up and had air flowing out the vents again. It did this three times to me, twice on my way up (4 hour trip), and once on the way back (trip had more stops). But since then, it's been running fine.

From what I've been able to tell, there's a door that closes after the fan and before actual blend door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
ultivssl
DODGE RAM FORUM
We’re the ultimate Dodge RAM forum to talk about the RAM 1500, 2500 and 3500 including the Cummins powered models.
Full Forum Listing