DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been currently driving my nice new 2019 Bighorn around with a piece of plastic and some blue painter tape since July 15th. Went to the grocery for some coffee one Sunday morning, got out, shut the door and heard it shatter. This made me feel pretty sick as I still hadn't had my first cup of coffee. At the time I really didn't have (and still don't) any idea of why it shattered but figured I have a buddy with a glass shop and I'd just get it taken care of the next day. So once I see my friend he tells me no one is making any aftermarket glass for it yet but he called the dealer and they had one heading my way, ETA 1 week. A week later still no back glass and now it's been postponed till Aug. 3rd. Ok I can accept that, just a lil bit longer. Aug 3rd comes around and now suddenly the dealer tells us they can't get me a back glass till Nov. 5th!!! So now I'm out of patience. No one can explain what happened to the one window they had heading my way. I'd rather hear it was broke then no one knows. Even more so, originally I chalked it up to maybe the neighbor mowing or some other dumb luck. Now I'm wondering if its a bigger issue. Has to whole assembly plant had to shutdown cause their outta back windows. Sorry for the Rant, I'm just beyond sick at this point. Contacted RAM "support" and got none.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Why didn't you take it to the dealer for warranty replacement? I know a couple of years ago there was a problem with the rear defrost system shattering the windows, maybe it's back.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Seems they are still building 19's with rear glass so it must be available. Same thing happened to my daughter with a new Cadillac, bad tranny. Dealer said two month wait. Dad said either have them take one out of one on the lot, give you a car equivalent to your's to drive or have them pay rental on one. She pressed the manager, and loner then fixxed.

Go jump on them, Nicely, you should be driving a vehicle with a good rear glass immediately, even if it belongs to the manager or owner.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Why didn't you take it to the dealer for warranty replacement? I know a couple of years ago there was a problem with the rear defrost system shattering the windows, maybe it's back.
agreed! I went back and read it twice and sounds like a "third party" (his buddy's shop) is requesting a glass from the dealership. I would have just gone directly to the dealership because this sounds like a warranty issue instead of a .........'glass isn't covered' so go to safelite

My dealership would have kept that truck and gotten me a rental. They have a deal with Enterprise here because they don't keep loaners.

I do wonder if it was hit with a rock as you mentioned because a shattered rear window.....wow. If so, then I can see why you went to a glass shop

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
agreed! I went back and read it twice and sounds like a "third party" (his buddy's shop) is requesting a glass from the dealership. I would have just gone directly to the dealership because this sounds like a warranty issue instead of a .........'glass isn't covered' so go to safelite

My dealership would have kept that truck and gotten me a rental. They have a deal with Enterprise here because they don't keep loaners.

I do wonder if it was hit with a rock as you mentioned because a shattered rear window.....wow. If so, then I can see why you went to a glass shop

He said it shattered when he closed the drivers door so I don't think it was hit by anything at the time it shattered. Even if it was hit sometime before and chipped I do not think it would have just shattered when closing the door.

·
Registered
247 Posts

He said it shattered when he closed the drivers door so I don't think it was hit by anything at the time it shattered. Even if it was hit sometime before and chipped I do not think it would have just shattered when closing the door.
I’ve seem it happen before but it was from a window that had been damaged by a rock, then the crack spread and person slammed the door and it shattered. But I agree this probably isn’t the case with him esp with it being a back window.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally didn't think it was a dealer problem. I have since been dealing with the dealer personally. I have also called RAM Support directly, who contacted my dealer and then told me they were doing all they could and it would still be NOV 5th. I feel like weather it was my fault or not RAM should be getting me a glass ASAP by pulling one off the assembly line or outta the back of one just built. RAM support told me since the Vehicle was still drive-able it could not be put in expedited status. I said, "what if its a front window and storming? Is that still drive-able?" Basically told me it was on manufacturing back order and there was nothing else they could do.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
When you close the doors it creates pressure in the cab, and when you open them it creates vacuum. There are vents in the cab below the rear window to allow the pressure to escape somewhere-you may not notice them because they are between the cab and the bed. IDK if one of yours is obscured or something, but the pressure is likely what caused the window to shatter. There have been a couple posts over the years of this happening on 4th gen trucks, and I think a defective window is more likely to blame than a rock chip on the back glass. Glass is kind of a weird material

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you close the doors it creates pressure in the cab, and when you open them it creates vacuum. There are vents in the cab below the rear window to allow the pressure to escape somewhere-you may not notice them because they are between the cab and the bed. IDK if one of yours is obscured or something, but the pressure is likely what caused the window to shatter. There have been a couple posts over the years of this happening on 4th gen trucks, and I think a defective window is more likely to blame than a rock chip on the back glass. Glass is kind of a weird material

That makes a lot of sense. I've been having to replace the plastic and painter tape I'm using every week to keep from messing up the paint. This past week I cut a piece of plexi and taped it to where it would be less of a hassle to deal with. I leave the truck with the wife since I work away from home a week at a time and since I've been gone the tape holding the plexi blew out. Was afraid that would happen cause I noticed every time I opened and closed the door you could see it suck in and out like you said. Will be bringing this up to the dealer when I get back home. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts