DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's an odd one for you all to chew on a little bit...

Had check engine light due to O2 sensors and torque converter. I replaced the O2 sensors last Thursday. Reconnected the battery, ran the truck for the last week and have gotten no check engine lights at all. Since this was the case, I figured I woud go get the truck thru emissions for registration before it expires on Feb. 15th. A couple miles down the road, check engine light came on. It was the torque converter again. So, I disconnected the battery, cleared the codes, and proceeded to the emissions testing.

Failed! Due to the fact that the OBD computer was "Not Ready". Called dealership, they saii needed to drive about 40 miles for the computer the "reset" itself. So, drove home and parked and started getting ready for work. A few hours later, went out to start the truck. Turned the key, no lights on the dash at all came on (radio and radio lights did come on), and the engine turned over but never started.

Is there any way the emissions place messed something up when they connected the OBD reader? Or could it be some random occurrence that has risen its head? Oh, and what do you all think it could be that's going on now?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You might have to reset computer. Clear it out and set it in limp mode and hope it dsnt pop back up. If it dose check all of the connection's then the the computer itself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I don't know what exactly I did, but I got the truck running again. I finally got some free time from work, wife, and the kids, so I went out to the driveway to play with stuff. Hoping I could get it running again, but not expecting anything.

I started off checking all of the fuses in the fusebox by the drivers door. Nothing. Still no dash cluster lights and still wouldn't start. So, I moved to the engine compartment. Start removing all the fuses and relays next to the battery. I decide to check the ignition, and all of a sudden I got dash cluster lights. Turn the key all the way, and the engine starts and runs like a beast. After letting it run for awhile, I turned it off and tried to recreate the problem, but I couldn't. Personally, I'm thinking that it was one of the ignition/starter relays.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just went though this same thing with slightly different systems. After about two weeks thinking it was my TCM or PCM, come to find out it was my 7th pin in the ignition switch not sending a signal to the fuel pump relay. I sprayed a little WD40 in the ignition and on the key, worked it back and forth a couple of times and now she's working perfect. Before you go though alot of headache try this trick. Some times the pins in the ignition may get stuck and cause havack on the system since the ignition sends signals everywhere. Good luck.:smileup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went though this same thing with slightly different systems. After about two weeks thinking it was my TCM or PCM, come to find out it was my 7th pin in the ignition switch not sending a signal to the fuel pump relay. I sprayed a little WD40 in the ignition and on the key, worked it back and forth a couple of times and now she's working perfect. Before you go though alot of headache try this trick. Some times the pins in the ignition may get stuck and cause havack on the system since the ignition sends signals everywhere. Good luck.:smileup:
Interesting idea. I might do this just for the heck of it and to make sure everything stays lubed up. But would this trick actually have anything to do with the relays/fuses acting up in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arrrrgggghhhh...

Round Two. So, it happened again. Been driving for about a week now. No problems at all besides the transmission still acting up. So, here's what happened. I come home from job 1. Get dinner packed, get dressed and about 30 minutes after getting home, I go outside to start up the truck to leave for job 2. Well, you guessed it. No dash lights and it won't start. Engine cranks, turns over, but won't engage. I pull fuses and replace them one by one, just like last time. However this time, nothing has changed. Still no dash lights, engine still won't engage.

I'm dead in the water. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, truck is running again. I did a search on the Internet for these problems, and most of the returns came back as an aftermarket alarm was causing the problems. Well, I do have an aftermarket alarm, however it doesn't work any more. So, my brother-in-law does installations at Best Buy. He comes over, removes the alarm, hooks everything back up to normal, and the truck comes to life.

Now to drive it around for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So sounds like start disable?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So sounds like start disable?
Yeah, it had the starter disable built in the alarm. What's weird is that the alarm has been not working for a bout a year, and none of these problems have ben been around before.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Time vibration and temp changes. All have an affect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts