DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first dodge last week :smileup:, the truck starts off in what I assume is second gear when you are in drive and also has no overdrive at higher speeds. I know that first gear is good because you can manually select 1 on the shifter and it works like it should; You then have to shift into second, and then drive for third. There is no noticeable shift to fourth either. I already tried replacing the governor pressure solenoid because I have heard that this is a common cause for a no first gear condition, but it made no noticeable difference. I did not replace the governor pressure sensor or any other solenoids at the time because the parts stores around me did not have them in stock. I tried swapping a different ecm from an identical truck too. Would it be more prudent to try the governor pressure sensor and see what happens or should I consider rebuilding the VB while I have the pan down again? Also, any thoughts on the fourth gear/overdrive problem?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi Champ! Did you buy the truck with a known tranny problem? The "start" in second gear thing is something that the computer trucks do to protect themselves from further damage. It is called "limp-home" mode. I do not know if this is overridden by manually shifting into first. The best advice I would give right now is to have the tranny scanned by a professional-quality scanner. The ones at the auto parts stores cant dig deep enough into tranny codes to help you. Try this before throwing any more money at parts.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Can't get your money back? Cocked front servo piston, stuck governor valve, front band linkage malfunction, governor circuit electrical fault, valve body malfunction. OD ...TPS malfunction, Neutral switch to PCM wire shorted/Cut, Distance or coolant sensor malfunction, O/D switch wire shorted/Open cut, OD circuit fuse blown, Dash O/D switch in OFF position, PCM malfunction. Have fun. :doh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts