DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the lights on my instrument cluster on my 2001 3500 Diesel Quad Cab went out on me. I read somewhere on this forum that the cause could be more than just fuses or burned out bulbs. I can't find the thread. As I recall someone said they fixed their dash lights by replacing a fuse under the truck, what fuse and where might that be. Could someone give me an idea of what else I should check before I pull the panel out?

Thanks in advance
Miles

PS: I'm using a book reading light attached to the turn signal to drive at night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it just the dash lights and not the driving lights? Did you try turning the rheostat?
Thanks for answering.
Only the 6 gauge lights and shift indicator light don't work (white lights). The colored ones, brake, seat belt, ABS, etc,all work plus High beam, signal, etc and all others work. The rheostat appears to work, it turns on the interior lights and bed light. I suppose it could be that - don't know if it is causing the lights to not work or if the lights being out are causing the rheostat not to be able to indicate dimming capabilities.

·
Registered
873 Posts
What about the rest of the dash backlighting for the radio, heater, ect? If they light up and dim, then the switch is probably ok.

The fuse should be in the left side of the dash. Open the truck door and there is trim a panel that pops out. Look at the schematic on the back of that panel. I think you need fuse #5. The dome, cargo, vanity lights, ect look to be fuse #12.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the rest of the dash backlighting for the radio, heater, ect? If they light up and dim, then the switch is probably ok.

The fuse should be in the left side of the dash. Open the truck door and there is trim a panel that pops out. Look at the schematic on the back of that panel. I think you need fuse #5. The dome, cargo, vanity lights, ect look to be fuse #12.
I think you and Moparite hit it on the head. I don't recall them ever being backlit but they must have or I would have had to feel around for them in the dark. Nothing anywhere on the dash dims or gets brighter. So off to get a new dimmer switch. Thank you both very much. I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers,
Miles

·
Registered
873 Posts
Did you check the fuse first?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Did you check the fuse first?
Yes I did. I checked them visually and then again with my multimeter - all were good.

It's a nice day up here in Puget Sound. The new Switch arrived so decided to install it today, St Patricks Day.It was very easy getting the old light & dimmer switch out, however, I'm having difficulty removing the wires. There is a red plastic lock that looks like pushing it up or down locks or unlocks the wires for both the light and dimmer switches. I can't get either one to move by hand. Is there a trick to this type of lock or do I just take a screwdriver and beat/break it open. I've always been told don't force it unless it's the only way.
_
Saw Ford Dealership mechanic, he told me to just push harder. Installed the switch didn't fix the problem. Everything is the same - No white lights on dash and no dimming anywhere. Back to square one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts