DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally did it. I debadged the Ram. I took off the 4X4 and the Ram 1500's. Needless to say took 3.5 hours because I was too cheap to buy the adhesive eraser wheel. My fingers are soar from all the tape removal. I left the Hemi badges on the fenders for two reasons. One being the sides look naked without them and two the driver fender was repainted under warranty and I was afraid to mess with it. Especially if they put the badge early on before the paint fully cured.

Truck is a December 2010 build and there was ghosting. Very mild, but present. Wax worked well, but I did leave a few light scratches in the paint from pulling the tape. Solution, ScratchX2.0 its a hand applied polish compound the dissolves as your rub. It removes light scratches and swirls with ease and makes the paint pop. Removed all the ghosting. I love the stuff and will probably use it on other areas to remove lights swirls.

I still need to tint the windows, and I apologize but the truck was dirty, I only cleaned the areas I was working on. If you haven't debadged I would do it. My letters where starting to chip and peel anyway.

Also not going to start an new Thread, I got a decent sized rock chip on my roof. I know the roof! Well I did several layers of touch up, followed by some Langka blob eliminator. Fairly useless stuff for the price, but it helped remove the excess. Its not perfect, but not worth a professional run and at least it sealed the bare metal.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Looks awesome! Love the naked look!

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK, I've been debating doing this for a while. Mine is the same color and is an early 2011 model year build. I think it was August 2010 so I've been worried about ghosting but yours looks so good I'm going to have to take the plunge and do it. I plan to leave the Hemi badges like you did.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Looks sweet! Off topic, which step bars do you have on the truck? I've been looking at a few wheel-to-wheels on the net.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is a Meguiar's product. Right after I got my truck home it inexplicably got a couple of scratches high on the right front fender. I am pretty particular, enough to know it happened while it was parked in my driveway. Then a few weeks later, it had an almost razor blade-looking mark through the same spot. If I catch anyone messing with it... :box:

Anyway, I picked up some touch up paint from the dealer and carefully filled them in. The touch-up paint was not flush and smooth with the factory paint after this and it looked like, well, touch-up paint (not good). Used the ScratchX 2.0 to level it back down to the factory paint, re-applied touch-up paint as needed, and rubbed with more of this product. Followed up with Turtle Wax's Black Box pre-wax cleaner and then the carnauba wax (my truck is black). Still needs one more round of this process, but the marks have virtually disappeared already. I really have to look for them now whereas they really jumped out at ya. One more time and they will be totally gone. Very pleased with the results!

It is abrasive, but this product is a WAY more fine (as in fine grit versus coarse) micro-abrasive polish than others out there and did not visibly mar my truck's finish whatsover. But know that every time you use it, you are removing a very, very thin layer. What's nice about Scratch X 2.0 is that it takes a long time to do a little, i.e. it is basically foolproof and it's hard to go too far with it and screw up your truck.

As far as ghosting, I removed my Outdoorsman decals and could see where they had been. I polished and waxed the areas on either side of the truck where they had been and thought that handled it. And 99% of the time you'd never know they were there. But interestingly when it is wet during washing it, I can still make it out on one side of the truck. Will fix that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts