DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to install a set of bestop power steps on my 2011 1500 crewcab.
Disconnected the battery
Tapped into door ajar wires underhood as per instructions
Installed motors and steps
Reconnected the battery

Now the steps work no problems because the power comes direct from the battery, but the rest of the truck has zero power. No interior lights, no headlights. I put the key in the ignition and tried to turn it over, truck won't turn over at all, and now the key WILL NOT come out of the ignition.

Anyone have any ideas? The guys at bestop aren't in the office til Monday. It seems like a blown fuse or relay, but didn't get a chance to really investigate last night as it was getting late and I had to work in the morning. I tried calling 2 dodge dealers today and both service departments weren't very helpful. Just want me to tow it in and wait a week for the tech to have a look at it.

Any help is appreciated

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Sure sounds like it could be a blown fuse. You need to start there and then let us know what you find.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Is your transmission in 'Park' - this could affect the lack of cranking, and the stuck key.

Are there NO Dash lights of any kind? Is there ANY trace of power anywhere other than the new steps?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your transmission in 'Park' - this could affect the lack of cranking, and the stuck key.

Are there NO Dash lights of any kind? Is there ANY trace of power anywhere other than the new steps?
No power that i can see anywhere. Truck is in park.

not sure how a fuse would blow if i disconnected the battery. have to investigate more tonight when i get home.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
On your truck, the battery connects directly to the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module), that's the unit with all the fuses on top of it. There is no master fuse or fuse link that I have been able to locate in the wiring diagram, so this scenario is almost impossible!

Are you 100% sure that all battery connects are in place? If they are, the only thing that seems possible is a total TIPM failure on the primary side, and that would be....IDK....maybe the first ever. To take out (blown up) the primary TIPM buss would require such a huge amount of current that you would KNOW there was a problem when you connected the battery cable.

Please recheck your battery connections....I think this is a small oversight thing...:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll have another look tonight. hopefully i'm just a f*cktard and it's nothing major.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
If you find something simple, don't beat yourself up over it. We have all done them, and in the end, what we get is 'Experience'.

This is not where I'll post with pride about how I had to leave the keys 'stuck' in the ignition of my 2010 Ram for most of a day :Wow1:....just because it was my first automatic and I didn't think to put it in park. :doh:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So turns out we forgot to hook up one of the power wires upon further inspection. it was curled up so it was out of the way when we were doing the wiring. All is well now and the steps look great! i'll be doing a review and pics once it's out of the shop from getting a lift next week.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4
4,226 Posts
I'm glad it was something simple and you got it sorted out!!!

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
:woohoo: Right On! :woohoo:
That is really good news! :smileup: BTW - How do you like the steps?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I learned a while back, when disconnecting wires from a post or screw to put a zip tie thru all the rings or around all the wires. Less chance of one getting lost when reconnecting. Glad you found the prob.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I learned a while back, when disconnecting wires from a post or screw to put a zip tie thru all the rings or around all the wires. Less chance of one getting lost when reconnecting. Glad you found the prob.
That is an excellent tip! I will be using and suggesting this to others. :rep:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys,

Steps work great so far, but it's too early too tell how they will hold up with all the road salt etc up here. I'll be doing a 1000km trip this coming weekend after i get my lift installed, so i'll have lots of pics and a better idea of how well these steps hold up... and i WON'T make a teaser thread! hahah

1 - 15 of 15 Posts