DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im new to this thread and want to thank each of you for any help you may be able to provide. Ill start by saying im not a certified mechanic but i sm self taught and know my way around dodge trucks fairly well, so heres my symptoms and issue at hand.

So the truck has been sitting for a while, but its been sitting because it became a secondary vehicle and quit running one day when i went to start it. I had noticed when i was driving it that it would randomly give a low power surge occassionally while driving down the road. It would never stall but for a brief second it would dim the lights and drop about 200rpms but only for a second then it was fine.

So when it wouldn't start, i narrowed it down to getting no fuel and all the fuses and relays i could find related to the fuel pump checked out and switchimg relays for ones i knew worked provided no solution. So i assumed the pumo was bad, dropped the tank and installed a new oump, reinstalled and still nothing. So i checked voltage with the key turned on at all prongs for the ASD relay and fuel pump relay and on one prong for both i get slight voltage (up to 1 volt) for less than 2 seconds and it drops to 0.000 on the multimeter. I have charged and tested the battery so unfortunately keeping it simple also did not provide a solution.

Im led to believe i should have close to 12volts with the key turned on at least at 1 of the prongs for each relay. Im at a loss at where to go to next, and how to test my PCM. The truck has michigan rust from the road salt, but truck has 155, xxx miles. Any help is greatly appreciated and please let me know what more information i can provide for an accurate solution in troubleshooting. I dont believe a bad crankshaft or camshaft position sensor would kill the power to the relays because i have zero volts prior to the cranking procedure. The truck does tuen over at a normal RPM and sounds normal turning over. Thanka in advance for the help and suggestions!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Relay power

There should be 12 Volts (Fused) on pin 30 of both relays all the time.
When the key is turned on, that 12 Volts is fed thru to pin 87 of both relays. From the ASD relay, that power is sent to the Ignition Coil, Fuel Injectors, O2 Sensors, and to the PCM.
Also, the Fuel Pump relay pin 87 sends 12 Volts to turn the Fuel Pump on.
If the PCM senses inputs from the Crankshaft Position Sensor AND the camshaft Position Sensor (aka Ignition Pickup), it will fire the Ignition Coil and the Fuel Injectors in sequence, and they all live happily ever after!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts