DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ac condenser was punctured today, which caused the lose of all the refrigerant. If I drive like this (w/o turning on the ac), will I hurt the ac compressor?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I remember correctly, the ac will cycle even if the control is not in the ac or defrost position. Will it continue to do this without refrigerant? Will pulling the ac fuse solve the problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey hows it going. same problem with me 96 ram. it kept cycleing .so u pull plug . every couple years ill throw a can of ac lube in there . not sure if i even need to to do that . but no problems yet. Been about 10 years now. Id love to hear from someone that knows AC

·
Registered
471 Posts
dont quote me on this but i heard that there is a lubricant in the refridgerant that keeps the ac parts lubricated. not 100 percent sure though so hopefully someone else can chime in

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey hows it going. same problem with me 96 ram. it kept cycleing .so u pull plug . every couple years ill throw a can of ac lube in there . not sure if i even need to to do that . but no problems yet. Been about 10 years now. Id love to hear from someone that knows AC
Thanks Nitro1! I'll unplug the ac until I can get a new condenser and a recharge.

dont quote me on this but i heard that there is a lubricant in the refridgerant that keeps the ac parts lubricated. not 100 percent sure though so hopefully someone else can chime in
That's what i was afraid of. I'd rather not have to buy a new compressor, too.

Thanks daggertats!

·
Registered
383 Posts
If your AC system is empty the compressor will not cycle. The system has a pressure switch, if the pressure is below a certain level it will not cycle the compressor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts