DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My new-to-me 2001 ram 1500 has no reverse or engine brake, and despite much reading here and elsewhere, I'm a bit confused.

Does anyone know whether a broken overdrive snap ring would cause a loss of engine braking?

The Truck:
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
210k miles
46re transmission

Symptoms:
No reverse
No engine brake in any gear range

All other gears shift smoothly in all gear ranges (including 1)

Steps so far:
Fluid level is good, and the fluid looks fairly clean and not burnt.
CEL has not turned on.
OBDII scan showed TPS (which I think is a separate issue), but no other codes. I sadly don't have access to a scanner that shows transmission codes.
Checked the shift linkage.

Prognosis:
What are the most common issues that can cause this combination of symptoms?
I don't think it's rear bands, since it drives fine in Low.
Could it be a broken overdrive snap ring (does that stop the engine brake?)
Could it be a solenoid (wouldn't the other gears be having trouble shifting?)
Could it be a stuck piston (again, wouldn't that make it not drive in Low?)

I'm kind of at a loss here. Any ideas?

The only other thing I can think to do is drop the pan and take a look.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "engine brake", unless you're talking about the locking pin used in park to lock the driveshaft? If this is true, it might be either the shifter linkage being misaligned or broken. Your shift into any particular gear should be crisp n definite. Get under the pickup, have someone shift the tranny thru the gears n monitor the linkage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply! By no engine brake, I just mean that if I go 30mph in manual low, and let off the accelerator, the transmission doesn't slow the truck down.

Unfortunately for me, I've checked the shift linkage without finding the problem :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you been using the tranny to slow the pickup in the past? I know that any torque converter has a given stall speed that will cease power transfer below a certain RPM. Is this a stock torque conv or an aftermarket? What is it's stall speed? Not a good idea to "engine brake" with an automatic tranny, it'll wear out the clutches n maybe damage the torque converter. As far as "no reverse" you mite check the low/reverse band setting. There are some folks that have a service bulletin for different numbers on the bands, can't find them rite off hand. An internet search will yield qwik results tho. No sure cure, but a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

First suspect is, in fact, the rear band. You can try adjusting, which will require dropping the pan. The book also says gearshift linkage out of adjustment, parking sprag sticking, valve body malfunction, rear servo malfunction, direct clutch in OD worn, and front clutch burnt. Since the OD direct clutch is used in all selections, I doubt it. I'd adjust the band, and suspect the front clutch pack.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Drop the pan and see if the band anchor is in it. The transmissions in these trucks are made for fuel economy. You can't use them as an engine brake. My question is why would you want to?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used to repair/rebuild the 727-904 Dogs and GM turtlehydro 400 trannys back when trannys had only 3 speeds and as a bonus...were bulletproof. I was at a buddies place recently and helped him tear down a Mercedes 80 trillion speed tranny ([email protected]#$%^&* where's the torque converter batman!!!)...clutches, bands and servos...oh my!?! I discovered 1 simple principle that hasn't changed, no matter how hi quality, hi tech or hi geared, they all still gotta have proper...1) oil pressure, 2)maintenance, and 3) oil pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts