DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright,
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with 124K miles auto trans
I got stuck in the snow the other day, and since there was a blizzard in my area i was having fun for a few days in the snow with my truck so didn't think much of it.
Well i went to back out in 2wd, no movement, threw it in 4wd, still nothing.
Someone got out and told me nope, no movement from any tire in reverse, in 2 or 4.
So bottom line, when i was in the snow, my forward was working, but there was no reverse. i had to get towed out and call AAA. The reason i couldn't just try and drive it home seeing as forward was working was because i noticed antifreeze leaking, so i got under there and saw the freeze out plug had a hole in it, so it wasn't holding antifreeze and i took the safe route and towed it home.
So i fixed the freeze out plug today, but still have not tried driving yet (still no reverse though, in my driveway).
The transmission was rebuilt about 20k miles ago.
So i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it may be? I'm hoping i don't need another rebuild as i just went over the warranty mileage.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Sounds like an internal problem with the trans. Talk to the people that built the tranny, they may be willing to help even though your warranty just expired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I am going to try and get in touch with them, it was prevous owner who had the work done, but i have the receipt.
Other then that, the Haynes manual said POSSIBLY it could be one of two things:
1. Fluid needs to be changed
2. Tighten/adjust the reverse bands
But when i asked the local dodge dealer they said not to change the fluid as it might worsen my problem, hence i can't get in there to adjust the bands. How could a simple fluid change make my problem any worse? (They wouldn't elaborate much)
Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts