DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was working on the truck yesterday and a bulb blew, replaced and still didnt work, checked the fuse it was blown as well so replaced that. then got back in to go to bdubs and i had no speedo, the abs light is on and my e-brake light is on. its throwing two codes, one says lost communication with speed sensor, the other says lost communication with abs module. thinking its the fuse 13 but ive been to autozone, oreillys, and walmart and not one of them had a 25 amp fuse! not sure if its the fuse because it doesnt look blown. if its not then its the rear axle speed sensor which is only $20 and an easy swap. also i ordered 16 E3 spark plugs with my heddman headers im switching out next month. are they ok to use?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are the E3's you got platinum,copper, or iridium tipped? Alot of folks on here say that platinum plugs and the 5.7 don't mix, and reccomend copper, but I just installed some pulstar iridium finewire center electrode plugs and they run just fine, I'll be doing a writeup on them later.

Things with plugs on the hemi is that the coilpack is right there, so you're not going to lose much energy by sending the spark along spark plug wires - the coil is basically a little capacitor. So, most plugs will get plenty of juice, and you don't necessarily have to run really fancy plugs on the 5.7 to get good ignition qualities (at least that's what I've observed - I think I wasted some money getting the pulstars for that reason...)

As the brits say, suck it and see... they will probably run very well. Post a writeup after you install them, that kind of info is always useful.

I would check to see if you didn't blow a fusible link or something...a speed sensor going dead, I would think, is fairly rare...they tend to be pretty robust. I would keep checking fuses, fusible links, circuit breakers (my buddies 2004 durango with the 5.7 has circuit breakers...wierd) etc before I figured the speed sensor went dead, but that's a wag. An old Tacoma I had, it had a main fuse hidden underneath the main fuse box - never would have found it on my own, had to have someone point it out.

Hope that helps man! Good luck.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
was working on the truck yesterday and a bulb blew, replaced and still didnt work, checked the fuse it was blown as well so replaced that. then got back in to go to bdubs and i had no speedo, the abs light is on and my e-brake light is on. its throwing two codes, one says lost communication with speed sensor, the other says lost communication with abs module. thinking its the fuse 13 but ive been to autozone, oreillys, and walmart and not one of them had a 25 amp fuse! not sure if its the fuse because it doesnt look blown. if its not then its the rear axle speed sensor which is only $20 and an easy swap. also i ordered 16 E3 spark plugs with my heddman headers im switching out next month. are they ok to use?
I'm not aware of any issues with the E3 plugs but I won't swear you'll see any particular gains from them. IMO plug designs like that are more of a gimmick than anything. Anyone remember Accel u-groove plugs or the Splitfires? They were supposed to add HP but when I tried them in my drag car, I saw no decrease in my elapsed times.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well they were on sale and i replaced the fuse today with no luck, off to the dealer thursday

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I swapped out my injectors yesterday with BMW OE ones I got from Silver Spring BMW. Two of the spark plugs (#4 and #6) had oil on the plug and the threads. Which made me think there is something more wrong than just worn-out spark plugs. Either way, the engine ran smoothly as silk while I was driving home. So I thought all was good...

Then this morning it was beginning to have a semi-rough idle again, which disappeared after the engine warmed up. It hasn't thrown codes yet, and no hesitation on acceleration. But I'm wondering if I need walnut shell blasting or a new valve cover gasket?

I'll try and post pictures of the spark plugs when I get a chance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts