DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ram 1500, 5.9, 4x4, Auto.
It started long time ago where it would shut off at about half hr. after starting and it wouldn't start back again until I let it coold for a while. Then scalated to cranck but no start, changed CPS on bellhousing of tranny & then TPS, nothing. Changed pick up coil under distributor cap, that fixed it for a while, then again same problem, it would crank but no start. Changed another pick up coil...nothing. So I changed ECU, it work again for a while, runnin smooth, after about a month, I'm where I started...cranck but no start.
Some things I tried:
Fuel pump is working fine.
Tried some starting fluid, nothing.
ASD relay tested good.
Coil has a yellow spark but readings are: 1.3 & 13.18

I should note that the first time it wouldn't start after I changed the ECU and it was running smooth, at crank it seemed like it was going to start but a big pufff stalling noise came from under the hood, after that it only cranks.
Any help would be greately appreciated.

Johel.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
If you can get your vehicle Smog excepted, do to high cost to repair

Pick up a manifold from a Magnum 360, that uses a carburetor & go old school pre computerized
If you have a Standard Transmission, it works especially well

A friend of mine tried several rebuilt/reconditioned computers & finally just gave up & sold his dodge truck for junk, he didn't even think about going old school, until i mentioned it too late, he had a stick shift

·
Registered
462 Posts
You are going thru the same shotgun troubleshooting checklist I did about 5 years ago, turned out that I had an intermittent fuel pump. hook a gauge up to the rail connection. 40 psi and rock solid, under all driving conditions, it took driving 85 miles for it to act up, with the gauge stuck beneath a wiper, saw the flux, finally, and after r2'ing the pump, have never experienced that pit of the stomach ugly feeling of motor dying for un known reasons, again. ( tho it never actually died, just acted deathly ill, off and on)...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts