DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to the dealer to have the Uconnect module installed on my express. We agreed that it was part of the deal and it is written into my sales contract and paid for in my loan. 3 hours later, they came out and said they can't figure out how to make it work with my RES even though it shows in the catalog as working. I don't have the phone buttons so I was wondering how this would work. They were trying to get in touch with dealer support to figure it out.

If anyone knows the real answer quickly, this forum is the place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wondered about this myself. I was going to have it added to my radio as well but decided against it since I plan on replacing with aftermarket in the next year. They quoted me $375 installed for the unit, I'm sure this didn't include a new radio though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine was quoted at $390 but obviously hasn't been set up yet.

·
Registered
616 Posts
you will probably need the Mirror with the Mic in it as well. Not just the rear view anti glare sensor...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another reason I decided against it is the price.... Almost $400 for bluetooth. Until I pull the stock radio and add aftermarket I just use one of these -
Droid Roadster

Works great, battery lasts a long time and turns itself on when I get in the truck and off after no connection is detected after a while.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I know that the 2012 Wranglers that have the RES radio have a new kit coming out (I believe in the next month) for Uconnect. That vehicle has 2 different RES radio types. The 1 that has SAT radio also has the uconnect buttons, so the add on is not difficult. The other type of RES does not have SAT radio, nor does it have UC buttons. So the new kit will have a small pad about 1"x2" that will contain the HMI (Uconnect) buttons, An external mic and the module. I think that I heard it will probably be $350 - $400.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this is where the dealer was thrown off. Mine has sat radio but no uconnect buttons.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have recently upgraded to the RBZ radio with the touch screen which is easier to see and has the hard drive. If you were to upgrade to this radio or further upgrade to a nav unit then you would have the uconnect buttons. Just a thought.

Also if the dealer has sold an upgrade to anyone who had the RES with uconnect they may want to swap that radio if they kept it into your truck since they made the deal with you and cannot deliver.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ok, I found out today that the kit I mentioned for the 2012 Wrangler will be for all the 2012 vehicles that come with the RES radio without the Uconnect buttons. He is checking on the PN (seeing how it is a new part, he just wants to make sure that Mopar kept the original PN the built for). Rough est cost $300 - $350.

I will look into this more for you next week, ok.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, today was another trip to the dealer to have them try another part number from the catalog. After two hours, they came back and said they couldn't get it to work. I settled on a remote start instead. After another hour and a half of waiting, I saw it going through the car wash all ready to go. As it happens, I was the lucky soul whose truck was in the tunnel when the machinery broke and left a nice dent in the bed panel. Now I'm out of my truck until the end of the week while it is getting fixed in the body shop.

As you can imagine, I'm thrilled.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They claim to have tried all the part numbers in the catalog and none will interface with the '12 radio. Evidently this is the first '12 they have tried and I get to be the lucky one. I'm still fuming over the dent, but as a boat dealer, I understand that when problems happen, they generally all happen to one customer. I have been on the other end and understand, it just sucks being that customer.

·
Registered
801 Posts
wow, sorry to see your dent. I am curious if the tried to install the Uconnect phone & voice pad into the steering wheel. (There's probably a blank out plate there now, is this correct?) Then install the 2011 Uconnect kit and flash the vehicle.
The complete kit for your 2012 with RES radio (as well as all other 2012 vehicles with the RES radio & no UC buttons should be released by Chrysler / Mopar around March - April. I have heard an estimated price to be around $350 for the kit.

They claim to have tried all the part numbers in the catalog and none will interface with the '12 radio. Evidently this is the first '12 they have tried and I get to be the lucky one. I'm still fuming over the dent, but as a boat dealer, I understand that when problems happen, they generally all happen to one customer. I have been on the other end and understand, it just sucks being that customer.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, there is a blankout plate now. I will watch for the kit to come out for the 2012 radio. I did get a Belkin Car Kit model F4U037 for $56 from Amazon that is working really well. The install was as simple as can be and I put the button/microphone just above the starting keyhole. Audio streaming is flawless and calls work well.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Another good option is the Parrot Hands Free Device
I had the CK3100 LCD model in my last vehicle, it puts my Ram Uconnect to shame
it downloads your whole phone book, as well as working very well with your windows open or fan on high, it is bluetooth & it connects into your current wiring for your radio & the callers voice comes through your Ram speakers & mutes your radio
http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another reason I decided against it is the price.... Almost $400 for bluetooth. Until I pull the stock radio and add aftermarket I just use one of these -
Droid Roadster

Works great, battery lasts a long time and turns itself on when I get in the truck and off after no connection is detected after a while.

The "roadster" looks alot like my Blue Ant which very well also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts