DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been hearing this noise when I am driving around 40 mph. Sometimes under sometimes above but it is also around or close to 2000 rpm. The noise I hear is something like grinding but if I let go of the gas it will go away. I only hear it at 40 mph or 2000rpm at the 40 mph area. I also hear it towards the front passenger side. I am wondering if anyone else has heard this noise themselves. I took it to the dealership to see what they think but they want to keep it a few days to see what it is. I dont want to leave it there cause they will charge me. Hope I get some help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why would they charge you to look at, it seem to me it would be a warrenty issue. I have had vechicals out of warrenty and was never charged for them having it for a few days. If that's the case I would be finding another Dealer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have definitely heard the same thing. It always seems to be in low RPM and in 4th or 5th while doing 40-45mph or until it downshifts. I had thought it might be the torque converter not functioning properly, there has been some people saying their TC had to be replaced. I need to get it fixed too, only have 9k to go on that warranty. At least that is my best guess.

·
Registered
236 Posts
WOW.... You know, iam in the same boat as you , but i really thought it was me!! HAHA.. I will be going to the dealer on Tuesday to check it out because it's really driving me crazy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds like you guys will be joining the "Replace the faulty torque converter" club.

Go to the thread titled "Torque Converter Poll" and read all about it. Have a couple beers with ya while reading, 'cause it's a long one!

Your symptoms are exactly what I was hearing before my TC was swapped.

You will find a photo of the STAR case report in the "Torque Coverter Poll" thread in regard to this issue. It's posted several times in the thread. Print it and take it to your dealer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like you guys will be joining the "Replace the faulty torque converter" club.

Go to the thread titled "Torque Converter Poll" and read all about it. Have a couple beers with ya while reading, 'cause it's a long one!

Your symptoms are exactly what I was hearing before my TC was swapped.

You will find a photo of the STAR case report in the "Torque Coverter Poll" thread in regard to this issue. It's posted several times in the thread. Print it and take it to your dealer.

Good luck.
Did your gas mileage go up after the swap? I am averaging 13.6 on the dash. Wondered if it went down with the temps or if the problem was getting worse.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did your gas mileage go up after the swap? I am averaging 13.6 on the dash. Wondered if it went down with the temps or if the problem was getting worse.
Nope, my gas mileage was horrible before the swap and remained horrible after the swap. But, I didn't buy the truck for MPG's. I bought it for towing my camper in the summer months, which it does quite well. I have the 2500 series with the 4.10 gear which explains the MPG's I average. My city driving barely gets over 10.5 MPG's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
WOW.... You know, iam in the same boat as you , but i really thought it was me!! HAHA.. I will be going to the dealer on Tuesday to check it out because it's really driving me crazy.
had the same issue with my 09 had it in the shop many times only to hear there is nothing wrong /can't find any diagnostic problems blablabla,so my fix was take it and trade it in on a 2011 witch cured the problem and the elect. problems that they could never find (only had the 09 for 2 years and I think the service department had it longer than I did lol)the 2011 is good in every way, every one says "should not buy first year productions let them work out the bugs for a couple of years first lol"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.